• In the Spotlight:

HELP! bonding balance?

My baby's father works and I am a full time student. We get home around the same time. One of my 3 month olds grandparents watches her 5 days a week to fit this schedule. So how can I bond with baby without neglecting other responsibilities like school, cleaning, and my partner?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Its okay to let your hubby watch the baby when doing things that would potentially harm the baby like cooking or using cleaning solutions. Us a baby bjorn type carrier for the first 6 months it does help bond. You have your arms free, but your are still body connecting. Give your full attention when feeding ie. look into their eyes and whisper beautiful things about them, touch them, massage them, sing etc... Your partner should realize by now that he is a Daddy and needs to share you. Cleaning is not nearly as important as cuddling with your newborn, give Daddy some chores to do and he won't miss having all your attention so much. Schoolwork you can do with baby attatched with the sling or put them in a swing close by if they are sleeping. Don't worry that you aren't doing enough just being near you is bonding. You are a great Mom and your baby's favorite person in the whole world!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008