How much weight is too much weight to gain?

I am at 17 weeks now and just went to the doctor yesterday for my blood draw to check for genetic disorders. I gained 4.2 lbs in 2 weeks so total now I have gained 13.5 pounds. Is that too much weight to be gaining in 17 weeks? This is my first pregnancy so HELP!

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 7:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should gain about 1 lb per week starting in your second trimester. So, yes.. a lb and a half was a bit much. Try to get more exercise, and watch your calorie intake. You should only be eating about 300 more calories then you were before you got pregnant. At the end, if you were a healthy weight before you got pregnant, you should gain 25-35lbs... It's not really horrible to gain more, you just have more work to do once the baby is born.
    That being said.. if you were underweight before you had the baby.. then you should be putting on a lot of weight right now, to catch up.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 7:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They say you should gain about 25lb but everyone is different. I gained weigh over that with my first. with my 2nd & 3rd I was around 30lb and then I had my twins and around 29 weeks I already gained a good 50lb but I was also preggo with 2.
    busymom509

Answer by busymom509 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know they say you should gain around 25 lbs, although with my first I gained 60 lbs. After he was born I lost almost all of it except like 10 lbs, I was still at a good weight after he was born. With my other 2 I gained 30 lbs.

So while I'm not saying go crazy and eat whatever, I think you should be okay. See what your doctor thinks as well.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• typically they say to gain 25-30 lbs but that differs for everyone not all pregnancys are a like my mom gained 40lbs while my aunt only gained 20lbs
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm pregnant with twins and I've gained about 23 pounds.
    erikalovesjerry

Answer by erikalovesjerry at 11:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2011