How can they tell if my baby has genetic disorders...

....from taking my blood? I had my 17 week blood draw yesterday where they will test the baby for Downs Syndrome, Spina Bifida, etc.

But how can they tell if the baby has these just from taking my blood? I was going to ask and then from the trauma of all the pokes trying to find a vein that would cooperate I lost my train of thought

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 7:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure really. But it's in the DNA in your blood. I'm sure it's very complicated to explain the exact way it's done.

Just know that they have been doing it for decades and it's a very accurate test.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There are certain proteins that are elevated in cases of genetic abnormality BUT, know that these tests are not always accurate! The only way to be 100% accurate is to have an amniocentesis and genetic karyotype done.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The blood test screens for certain markers. It isn't 100% accurate, what it does is alert the doctor (and you!) if there may be a problem. If the screen shows something, you will likely be offered a "Level 2" ultrasound and/or an amniocentesis.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2010