WWYD? New job offer?

This might get a little long. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in April. I've been out of work for 7 months between the surgery and wound care and radiation.

So I applied for a job at the beginning of November and it's been a long process but I think they are going to offer me the job. I have to return the call today.

Here's the problem, it's a half hour to an hour away depending on where they send me. It pays $10 an hour to start, but I would be spending lots in gas (about $40 every 2-3 days). I told them I could ASAP which was a month ago, now I have holiday stuff with the kids that is very important to me so I couldn't start until at least next Tuesday, the 14th.

Yes, we need the money, bad. Because of this I feel I can't turn any job down or take a chance of telling them I can't start until next week but I'm hesitant because of the drive in the winter and the gas (of course).

Just trying to work it out in my mind and thought some input might help. What would you do? What would you do?

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would be upfront about the family stuff if it is that important to you, see if you can work around the holiday stuff. If you guys need the money then I would take the job. A half hour commute isn't that bad and yeah, gas prices suck but it is worth the money you will be bringing in. Good luck!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If we needed the money I would take the job. Even with the cost of gas, you are still bringing money into the household.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• As long as you will be bringing extra money into the house I would go for it. I have been trying for 6 months with nothing so far. So I would jump at this chance.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thank you so much for the input. Finally got with the man at the new company, we played phone tag for a few hours. He did offer me the job and the drive should only be about 1/2 an hour!! Starts at $10 and I asked if I could wait to start until next week, on the 15th and that was fine!! So YEAH, me!! I have a new job!!!!
    Cindy18

Comment by Cindy18 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010