Long Distance Mover Recomendation?

Have you used a long-distance moving company? Any experience you'd like to share? I'm in the process of getting quotes, every one says that they are the best - I'd love to hear from other moms to make sure I make a good choice.

It looks like it's significant;y cheaper to pack myself and have them just do the heavy lifting, but it would save me a lot of work! Has anyone had them pack as well?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When I moved from CT to FL I interviewed several companies and ultimately used a local company that brokered out to Mayflower. It was a decision based on price at the time. I definately recommend asking them to put a "not to exceed" cap on whatever they quote you. They will all tell you the lowest possible guess and then will tell you "oops guess I was a little off later"...but at least the reputable (and I use that term lightly because it's a very shady industry) ones will agree to the "not to exceed".
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• It isn't the company per say as much as it is the packing and unpacking crew that they hire to do your house. My grandparents used United one year to move from NC to Ark. And they had so much stuff broken. (They had no choice on the company as it was a work related move). When work moved them from Ark. to GA it was United again and NOTHING was broken with that move.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh, and if you pack yourself, they do not cover that item against breakage. If THEY pack it and it breaks, they replace it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And we had United move us from SC to NC - it was great. We had so much glass and stemware, and china and NOTHING was broken. Because it was a short move the same head packer also unpacked us and he was great. He made sure the kids rooms were set up 1st and then asked what I wanted unpacked specifically and what I wanted to do myself. We chose to have them place the big items and we unpacked everything that was in boxes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We did it. The only part I did not like is when they give you a dilivary date. You have to be ready. Or you will be paying a lot of extra money. we went with a moving company that let us pack all the boxed stuff to save money.

Answer by louise2 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm nervous, this is my first long-haul (about 500 miles) move. I did it a lot when I was a kid (military), but this is a new experience for me as an adult. I'm thinking that I want to pack my own things so I'll know what's in the boxes. I also have a lot of purging to do, thought this would be a good time.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We have used Mayflower and Allied but all were Co moves, so no choice in providers. There is always the odd item broken..I'd rather pack my own stuff-I think the amount of paper that the COs use is a waste.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• no but heres a bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• That's really good advice, Syphon! Thank you! I didn't know about the "not to exceed," definitely going to make sure I use that!
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2010