was wondering what does it mean when a child gets mad and hits himself in the head?

karma1432

Asked by karma1432 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my experience it means that he doesn't know how to deal with his emotions. My sister used to hurt herself during fits. We deduced that the fit would escalate and escalate until she could bring it to a head as well as diffuse it by hurting herself.
    She grew out of it around 4.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Toddlers can't express themselves well through speaking, so sometimes they will hit either themselves or others out of frustration. It's been my experience that it's a phase they grow out of when they begin communicating better. If it's constant or violent, I would talk to his doctor and see if there is any reason for concern.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My dd does that sometimes. Not very hard, but I don't like it. I think most of the time it
    s frustatrion and helplessness. Tell me when you find out more.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• All of mine (3 kids) did that... they get frustrated and don't know what else to do.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• thanks,i don't like either,doesn't seem to be having trouble in prechool,never get any complaints,but the last for weeks he has gotten worse with hitting himself in the head,just don't know what else to do,gonna try and give the doctor a call today about it
    karma1432

Comment by karma1432 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My DS did that when he was younger. It was the only way he knew to express his frustration, plus for a while it got a reaction out of me and that was what he was looking for. He also would bang his head on the wall. He grew out of it eventually. Not sure if that is why your child is doing it. If you are really worried or if he is hurting himself then I would call her doc and see what they say.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• he has gotten worse with it,since my boyfriend moved is 18month old daughter in
    karma1432

Comment by karma1432 (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• autistic kids do that sometimes. They don't know how to express their frustration, esp when they are mad or embarrassed at themselves
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My sister did that as a baby and toddler, then as she got older she pulled out her hair, even older she started stealing and set our neighbors house on fire. As an adult she would do things to hurt herself. She ended up losing custody of my nephew and dying alone in a motel room. This is not to scare you and of course it doesn't turn out this way for most but it can and you should consider getting help if it were to continue or turn into other strange or bad habits.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010