13 more months?

One of the compromises the President wants from the Republicans is to continue unemployment for another 13 months. 1 year and a month for Pete's sake. Aside from it just being crazy, it sure doesn't make me feel our Government is expecting the economy to get better anytime soon. Why do you think they picked 13 months and is it to long?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's currently too long. The cord has to be cut, there are jobs out there, jobs nobody wants, the people need to start taking them and realize life will not be what they were used to. Salaries are lower now, values have declined, the materialism will have to wait.
    The till is dry, cut the rope.
    13 months from now is 8 months prior to the 2012 election. Massive UE and a bad economy encourages Democratic votes.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The why is to dodge the bad guys at Christmas bullet again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They will actually dodge the bullet for 2 christmas seasons. Just in time for the rhetoric to begin, that Obama will save them with HOPE
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh....and who will be employable after sitting at home for 155 weeks?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think 99 weeks is a long time then to add another year it is crazy. I get many don't have jobs but as an employer I have seen many turn down jobs that pay more than their unemployment because they like being home. They have found a way to live on that and work under the table in many cases. There is no incentive to get off the benefits. Funny thing is when people thought the benefits were not going to be extended many I offered jobs to in the past few months have called me back wanting a job had to tell them all the jobs were finally filled. Took me 5 months to find 12 people and unemployment is at 11 percent where I live. Makes me wonder why it took me so long and how many really want to work. The jobs paid 40k a year plus full benefits and vacation time. I think many are working under the table and collecting benefits and love not paying taxes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Kaching Kaching..........I just heard my unemployment insurance rates go up AGAIN. Why should I keep being penalized when I have NEVER had a claim??

I think another 13 months is absolutely nuts! I agree with anon above, I get people half-heartedly coming in looking for a job. I am currently looking for a full-timer for my cleaners but I can't seem to find anyone really WANTING to work.

I agree with jewjewbee. The cord is going to have to be cut and people are going to have to learn to live with less. The ONLY reason my family is making more is because I am continuing to grow my businesses by small amounts.

I am certain the length of time was VERY carefully calculated for maximum impact.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sure; let's enable a bit more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The cord is going to have to be cut and people are going to have to learn to live with less
    ----
    People are going to have to be retrained. Manufacturing is GONE. If some factory worker somewhere after 155 weeks THINKS he is getting a job like the last one he had, he is crazy, and he will have lost valuable time and skills while he only got OLDER and developed a new mindset at home watching CNN.
    The UE payments should have switched over to job retraining after the first tier was approved, paid to learn or paid to learn a new skill. The schools need cleaned, and need new electrical wiring, the courthouses need new tiles laid and new sidewalks poured, the DMV needs new stripes painted in the parking lot, There is plenty of work for someone to do until a job is found for them on their own. People at 50 and Unemployed for 155 weeks will be the new Welfare Grandparents w/o job retraining.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Borrowed $$$- for this and those 2 year extended tax cuts- it was tit-for-tat. Few actually care about the deficit, no matter how much they complain. Hope EVERYONE is happy-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Did you by chance watch Bernanke's 60 Minute interview? He admitted that jobs would not go up for 5-6 more years.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010