I hope you ladies had a great first night of Yule. A mead question.

Thanks NP for the mead brand suggestion. I am cashing my paycheck today and heading out to the local adult candy store (aka liquor store!) . I have a question: Can anyone tell me why mead is a traditional drink at Yule? Can you share some history and is it primarily German? Thanks.

Do you have any personal Yule traditions that you have adopted that you have made up?

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 10:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• mead or forms of mead have been around for thousands of years. Analysis of pottery from China over 10,000 years old has shown they drank honey and flower wine. In Chicago there is a meadery that makes the most fabulous wines. I have a Apple-Cinn waiting for the weekend. Another fav is the Hibiscus.....

http://www.wildblossomwines.com/

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

No, it's not primarily German. It's the oldest fermented beverage known to man. 

Why mead for Yule? The cultures that we borrow most Yule traditions are not big beer drinkers, historically. Colder climates are unable to support the wheat and barley needed to produce beer. It is far easier to take care of bees and harvest honey instead. So mead is the fermented beverage of choice and it carries overs as part of the tradition as an exotic novelty to us. 

Our tradition is a dark out supper. We turn off all the lights the day before and on Yule to help symbolise the longest night. Even dinner is ate in the dark, so our meals are stews and home-baked breads. There is some light, we still have little ones to watch but it's no where near the amount of light we normally have on.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• First night really stunk.... but oh well. Shall change that tonight!!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Um...just a word of advice. Take a Benedryl before you drink the stuff. There is nothing worse than a mead hangover. Since it's made from honey, it's full of potential allergens. The first time I drank more than a couple of sips of it was a snow in, we heated it with the spices and drank the bottle (my boyfriend and I) I fell asleep, and when I woke up my sinuses were a wreck. My face was puffy, eyes swollen, couldn't breathe...ugh.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies.
    2tinyhineys

Comment by 2tinyhineys (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010