Mormon family life

Why do Mormon men have more than one wife? Are there Mormon men that only have one wife?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, there are Mormon men with only one wife. We have a Mormon community here and none of them have multiple wives. I think that is only fundamentalists (who mostly live in Utah).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The Mormon Church does NOT endorse multiple marriages! There are only a very few fundamentalist off shoots which still endorse the practice. That means the vast majority of Mormon men have only one wife.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The MAJORITY of Mormon's do not have more than one wife. Only those fundamentalist, radical, break-off groups that are not recognized by the church practice pologamy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thank you for your answers!! Where do they get the reason for having more than one wife?
    Conley639

Comment by Conley639 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• In the early days of the religion it helped to procreate new members quickly- it also enabled women to have more power within the community, as married women were allotted more power than single women. Mostly, however, it is the idea of more children. :-)

And as others have stated- it is not the norm for the LDS church, only some off-shoot groups that believe this way. The LDS church does NOT condone bigamy.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Abraham had more than one wife, so did many other men in the Bible. So it's not like they created the idea. They simply didn't stop the practice, or better, they brought it back. But to be honest, many early Christian beliefs endorsed more than one wife. It wasn't until sometime during the 1300s that it started to be looked down on. So they simply brought back the practice, rather than creating it. Personally, I think it's a great idea, I wish it were legal, I'm not Mormon, or even Christian, and I would LOVE to have a second wife in the house!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sabrina you crack me up! =)

and since I was the first wife-she can do the toilets and the tub!!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Actually God never endorsed the practice of more than one wife...
    Sabrina no you wouldn't there are problems with having more than one wife. Some of those are even mentioned in the bible.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• the majority of mormon men only have one wife.
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 11:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2010