How do I address this problem?

My sitter recently got a new puppy for her family. I would estimate the dog is now about 4 months old. Twice now, the dog has jumped up on my 15 month old son and scratched his face. Not bad enough to scar, just a little tiny bit of blood but mostly just a red line and never in an attack situation. These are just accidents. How do I address the fact that while I don't care if she has a dog, I would like to see the dog receive some kind of training so he stops jumping up on people. I don't want my son seriously hurt because they can't control their animal.

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just talk to her about it. I babysit from time to time. I keep my dog outside when I do. See if she will do that. Good luck!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Some how, (because "confrontation" is not always pleasant/comfortable lol), in a calm, polite way(which I'm not implying that you wouldn't), let her know that you understand their puppy is just that, a puppy, but you are concerned that your child may get seriously hurt. That you know puppies jump, but hopefully she(babysitter) can try to keep an extra eye on the puppy, and train/discipline the puppy, when it is around your small child. Let her know your concerns. That you are not against the puppy, but an extra eye is needed. Good luck!!!
    Nonie73

Answer by Nonie73 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would just tell her that you aren't able to bring your son over until the dog quits jumping up on him..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's really not an option. I have to work.
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You just have to spell it out for her and tell her your concern, the puppy is just playing but it needs to be trained not to do this now, so it won't do it later on after he is grown.

Answer by older at 10:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sit down with her and explain you don't like your LO coming home with scratches on his himself. Ask if there is a way to put the puppy in some kind of.training to.stop the behavior. If she is not willing to work with you on this on your free time or days off I would look for another sitter. Tell her you will start looking for another sitter if she can't work with you on this issue. Maybe that will snap her back to reality so you don't find another one to watch your son.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It is hard to confront people sometimes. You might compliment the dog first and mention the problem. "Your pup is so cute but I am worried about something. It hurts me to see my LO cry when he is scratched. Can we work something out." ((That to much??)) GL!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with arenad. I babysit from time to time & will have my dog outside or in his kennel when the kids are here. He is a big puppy ( black lab, german shepard mix & very hyper ). The sitter needs to make it safe for the kids.
    LoriLynn686 AKA Lori
    A SAHM with 4 kids ages almost 13 (Feb.) girl, 11 yr. old girl, 7 yr. old boy & 5 yr. old girl.
    LoriLynn686

Answer by LoriLynn686 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• How do you know she's not trying to train the puppy to not do that? I got a puppy around Christmas time last year and I've trained him. It didn't happen over night, it takes time. She may very well be trying to train him to not jump on people, furniture, etc....along with the usual of sit and lay down. It's going to take time for the puppy to learn.
    In the meantime I would just ask her to keep an extra eye on your little one and see if she can keep the dog away from him/her for a little bit. Just be blunt - but nice - and say you would appreciate it if the dog wasn't around right now just because your concerned that something may happen. Again, he is only a puppy and you don't now if he will bit or something - if your little one pulls on the tail or something the dog may snap. Maybe she could put the dog in her bedroom, get a crate for him or put him outside.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2010