SHOULD I CARE WHAT MY MOM THINKS OR SAYS?

me and my fiance want to get married. we have been together for two years. we are so happy and we really want this. we have our own family. we have each other, his two kids, and my little one thats on his way:) but my mom tries to tell me i better not get married. because it will just end in divorce. which i know it wont because love as strong as ours cant end. we are so faithful to one another. so the question is should i care? oh and her other thing is... she doesnt want me to get married in the court house, but to actually have a wedding. which i would love to actually have a wedding, but funding's are low right now. i want to be married before our little one arrives. so should i just explain to mom that we wanna get it done with in the court house, then later have a big wedding? and if she doesnt like it just tell her that it doesnt matter, because my plans are what i want????

laytonsmommy011

Asked by laytonsmommy011 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is your life hon, not hers. If that is what you want then go for it. My mom wasn't thrilled with my marriage but it was what I wanted and she supported it. If she means a lot to you then sit her down and explain how you feel and let her know that you just want her to be happy for you. It probably won't change things but it might ease your mind some. Don't let how she feels affect your decisions.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• This is your decision not your mothers. I'm sure that she is just concerned about her daughter as most mothers are but she is out of line on this. Good luck
    ditchen4

Answer by ditchen4 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• get it done at the court house & don't tell her. Then, have a ceremony...it will be like you just got married again. She doesn't have to know ALL your business.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I honestly think its your choice not hers. Explain to her how you feel. When i got married my family wanted me to have an actual wedding but everyone understood it was just cheaper doing it by court so we just had our parents there and if we can afford it then in teh future we will do a wedding.
    tmma_the_witch

Answer by tmma_the_witch at 10:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Do you love him?If so go for it!
    im engaged and my mom hates it but i am still going to get married next year after our child is born:D
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why dont you have a small wedding with immediate family at a church then a restaurant. Your mum is only concerned. I'veseen court house weddings and they look very...sad. Don't do that option. You can get married for less than $1000 and still do it in a church and restaurant!
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 10:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You should tell your mom that she should be concerned about your happiness, and that you are happy and that it would mean a lot to you that she would at least acknowledge the fact that this will make you happy. That you are a grown woman with a life of your own and you want her to be happy for you even though she does not agree with this union. Then tell her that this is your life and that she already had hers and now it is your turn and to wish you the best instead of the doom and gloom. Explain to her that it breaks your heart to see her negativity, and to give the union a fighting chance.

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You should do what makes you happy. Your mom should find a way to support you in your search for happiness, and not be tearing you down. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would listen to what she has to say but it's still your life do what makes you happy.
    ollababy1

Answer by ollababy1 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010