What is the 1st thing I should buy to get ready for a new baby?

Also when should you start making a baby room?

MaybeMommy1994

Asked by MaybeMommy1994 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• diapers! lol and plenty of clothes....i started the nursery after i found out what i was having, around 20 weeks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You are going to need a lot of stuff!!
    Crib, Bassinet, Swing, Car seat, Bouncy seat, Diapers, Wipes, Clothes, Towels, Wash Clothes, Blankets, Bottles, Formula, Nursery Water, Lotions, Soap, Dreft Detergent.. etc..

We started our nursery at about 20 weeks or so... maybe a little sooner.. I am 39 weeks now and we just put the finishing touches on..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Diapers, wipes, bottles, formula or a breast pump. Get the nursery ready after you know the gender.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh how I loathe dreft.

I would say the most important things are crib and car seat. Personally, I start with clothes! I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and I have the swing, car seat/ stroller, a boppy, a baby book, a nursing cover, and some clothes (both genders that I got on clearance, I just plan to give away the incorrect gender to friends when they have babies). Those are just things I got great deals on. I will find out the gender at 23 weeks and will start buying more stuff then, but we won't actually set up the nursery until right before my hubby leaves, so 7 months pregnant because we have to move my daughter's bedroom.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• A bigger bed!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We started the room at around 25ish weeks. First things we brought were clothes on the day we found out the sex but also make sure you get important stuff like crib, car seat etc. I think once you buy all the stuff you need then you can look at stuff you just want coz it's cute lol.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• A travel system. You can start the room whenever you want. I'm sure the sooner the better. I didn't want to jinx it, so I waited till I was farther along.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Diapers and furniture!
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• A CAR SEAT. You can't take baby home without one.

Then books. What To Expect is great for milestones but not a heck of a lot else. Are you going to breastfeed? "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro is a GREAT starter book. Spend three times as much of your time on learning about infant feeding as you do on anything else, because eating will be baby's primary occupation for most of year one and you want to be expert. Babies don't give a damn about nursery themes or their layette but if they're hungry they'll make you miserable!

Diapers. Wipes. Onesies. Towels. Washcloths. Receiving blankets. Bassinet.

Start the room whenever you want to get dad out of your hair. We started it about six months into the pregnancy. It didn't get USED for anything but storage till eight months postpartum! Nor did the crib.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010