In general, Do you feel Parents are too strict today, or not strict enought?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Not nearly strict enough...kids get by with way more than they should.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not Strict enough, although I am guilty of it too, I will not tolerate rudeness or back talk but still try to let him be a child.. I am working on the "fine line" and consistency on a daily basic though for myself.. I have many friends who let their children talk to them in anyway, are snotty, throw things at them, slam doors and they laugh as if its funny.. not ok for our house one bit -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• In general, not strict enough.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not strict enough but with technology it can be a little harder in that matter anyways

Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 11:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not strict enough.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why do you think kids are running around doing drugs and getting pregnant as preteens (not bashing, I was one of them) and stealing stuff and everything else imaginable? I usually always pin it down to parenting. There are course are some exceptions but I feel that a parent cannot be strict enough. Children NEED discipline and structure. Someone has to teach them right from wrong, and who else but the parent? I'm getting very irritated with parents now-a-days, lol!
    SrkStrickland

Answer by SrkStrickland at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• not strict enough

i am guilty, daughter has autism, and trying to avoid autism outbursts, makes me bend rules and give in at times
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Definitely not strict enough. My nephews are the perfect example. Parents are divorced, they are to busy with their bf or gf to do anything with the kids - my MIL is raising them, she's not well, always in pain and sick. Therefore the kids get away with everything. The mother doesnt make them do homework, only gets done when MIL sits down to do it with them. They come and go as they please, going out with friends (they are only 7 &9, oldest is autistic), there are no rules or boundaries for them, they say and do what they want. That's just one example, but I see things like that all the time with my DD's friends.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think too many parents are trying to be their kids' friends and make them happy at all times; they're too worried about their kids liking them to actually parent. I hear it here all the time: "my kid said they hate me and now I can't stop crying, what do I do?"...you suck it up and ignore them, they don't mean it. So, not strict enough.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Both. Some parents are nothing but drill sergeants and not really interesting in developing compassion, independence, and assertiveness in their child. And then the militant parent wonders why the child can't do things on their own....well gee, they always had a parent dictate how and when to do things for them. Personally, I see more of the militant type of parents who have children with major problems.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2010