Potty training at three

My son is three and this past summer he did great with going pee pee in the potty. We went two weeks with out a single pee pee accident. Now that the weathers getting colder, he refuses to pee in the potty. If I ask him why he doesn't want to go pee pee in the potty he says he's likes the warmth.

Do you have any suggestions to help me get him to go pee in the potty again or even to go pooppy in the potty (something that has always been a rarity)?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 11:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son would only pee pee in a larger butter tub...no im not kidding!! thats the only way he would go....then we would dump the pee pee in the toilet together and thats how he learned that the pee pee goes in the potty.....as for the poopy,that was harder than anything....he refused to go poopy in the potty....but then one day he did it and saw the reaction he got from me was good when he poopy in the potty that he just continued to do it....but i must say that was the hardest part was the poopy in the potty....it takes time,and it takes patients...some kids just are not ready,but they let you know when they are.....just be patien but dont give up....reward him if you have to...stickers with a chart is good....then when he gets past the potty training part,you can have fun with teaching him how to wipe his own butt lol....good luck hun....sounds like you are gonna need it
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Is he in underwear? Take the diapers away completely!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I found with my son if I put underwear on him he had accidents but if I let him go without a diaper and without underwear just his pants he never had an accident. I think the underwear felt too much like a diaper to him. So, I have to agree with mompam to take away the diapers...you may have to clean up a few accidents but he's not going to like being wet or the other and after it happens a couple times he'll want to go on the potty. It's worth a try.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 10:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• With my LOs, we set a date on the calendar. They were partially trained but using diapers when they didn't feel like going potty so we sat down & picked a day & said by this day, no more diapers/pull-ups. Worked like a charm.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010