U.S. Students Again Trail Other Nations - opinions?

"A new global study of educational systems in major nations ranks U.S. 15-year-olds 14th in the world in reading skills, 17th in science and 25th — below average — in math."

I would like to see no more summer vacation... I know Americans are spoiled with them, but i have seen my child go back to school in August just to re-learn everything they forgot over the summer. Sure...parents can help their kids out by doing work with them over the summer, but how many parents actually do that?

How on earth will our country ever on track when we cannot peoperly educate our youths? All of them will be running our country one day...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/12/07/131874081/u-s-students-again-trail-other-nations?ft=1&f=1001

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 11:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd like to see year round school as well. We need to invest in our children and stop spending so much money on the wars we're waging!!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Our federal/local government spends more energy on appeasing unions and administrators and not enough on the children. Teachers spend too much time on social Issues and not enough time on the important subjects of reading, math, science. Too many parents use school as daycare and don't take an interest in their childrens learning. Teachers are left teaching at subpar levels as academic differences continue to grow within the classroom. My daughters teacher had said her math ability is 2 grades ahead of her actual grade. But over half the class is at their grade level or below. So the teacher has to teach to the lower levels and gave us, the parent resources to challenge her at home. Great!!! But then she is bored at school. As my kids progress, I'm questioning public schools more and more...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I personally don't think summer school would make much of a difference - we need to teach better, not spend more time doing the same mediocre teaching we're doing now.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's not really true NP. Some countries do, but that report compares us to countries like Austratia, the UK, Canada and Germany, which don't boot their less successful students from school.

Also, other articles state the U.S. was "average" not trailing. There will be spin both ways.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm not in favor of Summer School. Kids need a break.

We need Merit pay for the good Teachers and we should weed out the ones who are just there for the paycheck.

Teacher's Unions should be abolished.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 12:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why the thumbs down?  what I said is true. T he kids in special ed are not counted.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Other nations still kick the less than average intelligence out of school so they aren't tested. Same as every year - you're comparing ALL of our kids to only their smart kids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Go do some research on academic standards in Asia and Europe. Kids are allowed to drop out at 15 and going beyond that is considered "advanced" education. They only test the smart kids. "Appropriate course of action" is a fancy way of saying "shipped off to trade school".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe if US schools quit reinventing the wheel, kids would actually learn. My oldest is in 7th grade, my youngest in 5th. So far, I've had to learn 4 different methods of multiplication and division in order to help them with their homework. It takes longer to explain these new methods than simple long division or basic multiplication would have taken. My kids can't remember their mult. tables because they're busy trying to remember which method they were supposed to use to do tonight's homework.

As for reading, my classes in school actively encouraged independant reading, and we were supposed to share what we were reading once a week. Now, they're assigned stories to read in class, and even *I* find the assigned stories excessively dull. How are kids supposed to develop reading skills and foster a love of the written word with dry as old toast stuff?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I also believe it has to do with crappy teacher pay.

Teachers work 9 months a year and the avg salary is around $40,000 in the US. Most teachers have superior benefits/pensions, because bureaucratic priorities are there and not on the children. The decline in US education is NOT because of salary. JMO.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010