Is anybody else not able to buy any Christmas gifts this year?

I'm not doing too bad with it. In the past my husband has received a Christmas bonus but he changed jobs and that won't be happening this year. At this point, it doesn't appear we will be able to buy the children, or anybody else, any Christmas gifts. So far I'm doing okay but I think it will be harder once Christmas is closer. I keep hoping something will turn up before Christmas Eve. Probably dumb. But anyway, are we the only ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I too have zero money for gifts
    i have gone to library and they have free boks as you walk in
    so everyone is getting a book this year
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Call your local Salvation Army, they will help you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am sorry. Are there community resources available to you? Can you get your family on an angel tree, so anyone who wants to help can get your kids some new toys and gifts? What about craigs list and freecycle? Or sprucing up thrift store gifts (not the same I know)?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There are groups right here on Cafemom for those who can't afford Christmas....you ask for your kids to be adopted. I'm an "angel" on one of the groups (group name is long but it's Moms who can't afford Christmas...........)! I adopt a family or a child from cafemom every year. I'm mailing my adopted little girl her presents this week.

So you could try one of those groups. For hubby you can do something simple...google "handprint poem" there are a few really cute poems, print them out, use fingerpaint to make your kids handprints and put it into a dollar store frame and give it to him. There are also groups here and site online dedicated to homemade christmas gifts. To give you ideas on what you can make inexpensively or free for the whole family.

Good Luck. I definately recommend that right after Christmas start putting any spare change into large can and save up for next year.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I can, but I'm not. It boggled my mind that we celebrate the 'birth' of a guy who told us to sell all our shit by buying a bunch of crap made by some poor Indonesian kid making 37 cents an hour.
    I am making some candied orange peels, some chocolate truffles, and printing pictures.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I just found out last night, when I got home from work, that we need a new furnace. There goes any hope of Christmas presents. They weren't going to be for anyone but the kids anyway, but now...... My kids are older and they understand. I've faced the thought of having nothing when they were small. It's a horrible feeling. Have you checked with the Salvation Army or local churches that might be able to help? I actually worked for the Salvation Army one Christmas and they've come through for us in the past. I've also been blessed enough to buy gifts for the Angel tree and that was even better. Everyone needs help once is awhile. I wish you the best.... I'm sure something will come through.
    knappkin

Answer by knappkin at 11:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We celebrate the birth of "a guy" but HE did not tell us to sell our shit and buy stuff made by abused children. WE as a society took the story of the 3 kings bringing gifts to the Christ Child and turned it into a comercialized nightmare. It's called free will!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, he told us to sell our shit. We somehow turned that into buying a bunch of crap made by a kid in indonesia. Reading comp check.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Can you check around on craigslist and see if anyone is getting rid of childrens toys or clothes.
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i'm buying for kids ony.."if we have money". i've been back and forth between jobs the past 2 months and it has hurt us. My income pays for gifts. my dh will be getting a bonus but his bday is this month and he has to pay for car tags and all that crap..some of it may go towards gifts..idk. we arent spending much though. i'm focusing on buying 1 or 2 gifts every couple of days out of some of my tip money for my son and the kids.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2010