Why can’t we celebrate the wide variety great ways that parents can raise a family, rather than victimizing those we perceive as “doing it wrong”?

I just read a great article called "Parenting Styles To The Extreme" and it posed this question, so I wondered what everyone's thoughts were on it. We see this kind of "I'm right, your wrong" attitude a lot here on this site, so why is it? Why can't we simply understand that others have their own beliefs and that we are ALL trying to do our best? Why do we need to do this?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because it's in some people's nature to be nosey and judgemental. (Emphasis on the mental)
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 11:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Because, unfortunately, there are way too many judgemental women on this site. Their way is the only way they see it as being right. It's a bunch of crap if you ask me.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know. I hate that sort of "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude as well! It's very depressing. It's like women that choose to wear pads or tampons. Don't hate on the women that wear pads! Don't hate on the women that wear tampons! Don't hate on the women that wear both! Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't It's like, ggggrrrrrrrrr! LOLZ. Come on people, let's all hold hands and get along! OMG! LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
    elena_rae

Answer by elena_rae at 11:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Because people seem to have more fun criticizing the bad instead of praising the good.

worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• So elena, is it okay to hate on those that don't wear either? *kidding* lol

I agree with you 100%, all of you!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think that people always think their way is better and seek validation where they can. By pointing out that some parents are not strict enough or some parents are too strict. Spanking or not ever spanking, breastfeeding or bottle fed, or co sleeping or not, parenting while young or later in life.....we see how other parents do it and feel that we are judged for doing or not doing - so vocal voices defending their choices by putting other parents down. Not exactly kind and it only does other a disservice to put down other people and thier choices.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• OP I could take this post more seriously if you were not the one posting it. You come across very judgemental in many of the posts. You have an attitude that your way is the best way. I would suggest going through your posts and reading what you right before acting like your a champion for diversity.lol

Anonymous

• Thank you! I hate when judge my dh and I b/c we CHOOSE to have only ONE child.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Because most people think their way is the right way and that is that. By saying someone else could be doing something right they feel like they would be saying that they are wrog instead of agreeing to be different.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2010