How do I get my 3 yr. old to take naps?

She says she's not tired, but if she doesn't take a nap, she gets very cranky & grumpy. I need some hints & tips to get her to take naps. I've tried putting her in time out & that doesn't seem to work. HELP PLEASE! @@@@@

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is three and he does still nap however I have noticed his naps are getting shorter and shorter so I'm guessing they will be stopping all together here soon? As far as getting her to stop playing to go potty maybe say something like "(name) lets go potty real quick and when we come back we can (do something she really likes)" And same with the brushing her teeth. Also, try and do the brushing at the same time everyday....like we do it after lunch then potty and then nap time. If she doesn't want to take a nap...like the other ladies said...just have quiet time for an hour or so. Having a routine is very important as are setting boundries. Sounds like you have your hands full and I can tell you really love your neice...your doing a great job...being a parent is not easy and that is basically what you are doing. Hats off to you ;o)
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 10:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You shouldn't put her in a time out just because she doesn't take a nap. My son stopped taking naps around 3yrs old and it's normal. Maybe have quiet time where you guys relax on the couch with a blankie and cartoons and maybe she'll doze off. If not, then that is fine to.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Naps are hit and miss around here anymore. We have quiet time every day at the same time. He can either go in his room and nap (which is what we aim for) or he can play. If he doesn't fall asleep in an hour, we go get him.
    There have been days when I knew he was super tired but wasn't going to fall asleep in his bed. I'll put him in my bed and lay down with him.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When naps were getting to be on and off I began putting them in my bed with a movie and their blanky... 5-7 days they were asleep 1/2 way into the movie...they still need the quiet time and lets be honest so do we mommies!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• She doesn't need time outs for that. My three year old says she does not need them. We have quite time at our house. They have to play in there room quietly. Which a lot of the time ends up with her napping.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my dd gave up her nap at 2 as for the brushing her teeth let her do it but show her as you brush your teeth. my dd has been brusing her teeth by hesleft for a few mts now. we do like animlas. say snake to brush her teeth and roar like a lion to get her back teeth and then i tell her cheese and she gets her front teeth.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My son stopped taking naps when he was around 2. He goes to bed earlier at night.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• She may be past naps. Mine stopped at 3. Yeah she'll get cranky some days, but if I allow a nap, she won't go to bed until well after 10 (fall asleep that is).
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My dd stop taking naps at 2.5 yrs now 3, at 3 yrs there is not a set # of hours need for him to sleep
    If he need more sleep try giving him quit time by having lay down in a chair and watch something
    Or have him do quit thing in his room that help me in the transition between napping and no
    Napping now my dd does great but I also get her to sleep 11hrs most of the time
    3momamber

Answer by 3momamber at 11:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What's the age that toddlers & school-aged kids stop taking naps, or does it depend on the child? I'm the little girl's Aunt & I just want to make sure that I'm doing a great job or not. Sometimes, I think I am but are days that I don't think so. I just have 1 more question & that is: How do I get my neice to stop playing long enough to go to the potty? She waits until she has to go really bad or after she wets her pants. Getting her to go is fine, but getting her to stop playing to go is the problem. It's a struggle everytime. On Mon. & wed. are the 2 days that I have a hard time getting her to take naps. On Tues. & Thurs., she goes to school & she goes potty & brushes her teeth, sort of, & takes a nap easily. Oh, do you know how I can get her to brush her teeth without the struggle? Thank you for all of your answers! Yes, she's the first child for my brother; first grand-child for my parents & the first neice for me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010