Is there a school?

Is there a public school that is year round that your kids go to? Are you for or against? My daughter started a year round time of school this year, and it is confusing. It is still all 180 days of school, they just have breaks at weird times. Wednesday's she gets out of school at 1:45. That is called teacher conference day. Summer break is short. The school says that is better for the student, because they do not forget a whole over summer break.confused

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 11:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in

• Not in our area yet. My boys go to a private school right now. What I did was order summer solutions books that my older son worked on over the summer. It was to keep him fresh and what he did learn.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My kids went to a year round school until this year - my oldest started middle school and I liked the traditional middle school better, so I switched them all back to a traditional calendar. We had used the year round for 5 years. I really liked it, but I was on a track that was very closely aligned with a traditional calendar. They went for 9 weeks and then had 3 weeks off. It was great to take vacation while the rates were cheap and vacation spots weren't overcrowded!
    Personally, I didn't see it as being better for the student. I think that the school boards push that idea, but truly most of the time they are just looking for a way to fit more students into less schools rather than building new ones - and year round allows for that.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I homeschool but this is how I do it. Well I do more than the 180 required days but I don't have long breaks. Since kids aren't needing time off to work on the farm anymore I don't see the point of having all summer off. Besides taking a week off whenever is so nice when you just don't feel like school in the middle of February.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 7:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I wish our schools would go to the year round schedule. I don't see the point of having 2 1/2 months off in the summer.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There are 2 in a county about 30 minutes from me. They were both failing schools in low income areas and are now high ranking schools since they went year round. I would LOVE to have year round school. There is no reason kids need 3 months off of school. Spread it out, they will get less burned out and will retain more. The first quarter of school is for review, every year, every class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I wish we had that in our area. All the studies show that it's much better for the children's retention and learning and that they don't get as bored since they have breaks every couple of months. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take a little vacation a couple of times a year in different seasons instead of trying to squeeze it all in during the summer when it's the busiest? I'd vote for it in a second!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010