Do anyone out there have fussy eaters well my 5 year old son who's ADHD is not eating enough food but will eat more of the wrong kind of foods such as candy or chips,keeping these things from here causes discord in the house but I don't know what else to do because lately what I cook is not being eaten by him but the rest of the family eats so any suggestions for what to givehim at dinnertime?

momuv2933

Asked by momuv2933 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• well you can continue to make a second dinner for him, consisting of whatever junk he will eat or make his plate with the same food everyone else is eating. If he refuses to eat do not give him anything else....if you do it shows him he can get whatever he wants and it won't change. But when he sees you mean business he will eventualy eat because he will be hungry.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't buy junk food for the house. My little guy (who also has ADHD, but I'm almost positive that has nothing to do with it) has to eat what I cook and I try to compromise with him by adding french fries, mac and cheese, etc. Junk food is a special treat. We'll go out for ice cream or a doughnut, etc.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I try not to keep junk in the house, but I am not against making special meals for the picky kids. Figure out what he will eat. String cheese and a yogurt has been dinner more than a few times at my house. Chicken tenders and a veggie? A Carnation instant breakfast shake with added yogurt and banana?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have a very picky eater myself. He's 7yrs. old and yes I cater to him to some degree, however candy and chips are a rarity. For tacos: he'll eat soft shell taco with taco meat along with white rice on top and shredded mild cheddar cheese on the very top with barbecue sauce. My son doesn't like taco sauce but loves barbecue sauce. Loves fish sticks, macaroni cheese ( however for ADHD I believe they say to stay away from certain food dyes or coloring) . My son loves spaghetti with meatballs and shredded parmesan cheese on top of his sphagetti served with garlic bread. Other foods to try: tomato soup with fritos in it ( if you want to offer him chips) , steamed broccoli with mild cheddar cheese melted on top, sweet potatoes, baked beans, pancakes & bacon, beef jerky, cottage cheese, yogurt with granola added to it, lasagna, bananas with cinnamon sprinkled on top, cinnamon added to applesauce, banana bread .
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 12:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If he still isn't eating ask the pediatrician if pediasure might be an option. A drink to offer vitamins and extra weight to a child who is in need. If you don't want to ask about pediasure there's the carnation breakfast drink to help with calories.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 12:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• what does he like? try to build from there. You said he likes chips, have him help you make your own. Slice some red potatoes thin & bake them. Maybe add some cheese. Or use sweet potatoes & try to venture out with other veggies from there
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010