A third grade student continued to disrupt the class after being warned. So the teacher taped the student's wrists to the desk. Is this abuse or a creative form of punishment?

Don't know if you saw this, it's from "The Stir" but I found it "interesting," to say the least...

What do you think? Abuse? Creative? Or something else??

Personally I think I have to go in to the "Something else" category... Something else with a side of CRAZY!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it was right, but it was only scotch tape, so I'm imagining that he wasn't actually restrained -- and therefore I'm just not sure this deservest o be such a big deal.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Umm... I'm leaning towards abuse. If the parents did that and the teacher found out, you can better believe there would be a call to CPS. Byt he way, I'd punch the teacher if that was done to my child, lol. Just referencing another question.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It's something else. That teacher is nuts and should be fired! Why didn't they idiot just send the kid down to the office. No teacher should touch a child like that. The kids was only 7 or 8 are you freaking serious? I hope the parents press charges.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Abuse in my eyes I cannot imagine what would happen if a parent did this and CPS was called. I know if it was my child I would be furious, this is why I talk with the teachers and administrators about proper forms of punishment that I agree with. If they will refuse to use punishments that I agree with well they would go to a different school (thank god for school of choice).
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Abuse, but if it was only like one strip of Scotch tape that he could have easily pulled free from without being harmed the teacher was probably just being funny and trying to prove a point. However, teachers should really know better nowadays.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Something else!! wrong I would call the police for abuse and raise HELL!!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It should be considered abuse. When I was a teacher several years ago, we had strict rules NEVER TOUCH A CHILD! Both to protect the child and to protect u from being accused of sexual abuse or physical abuse.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Scotch tape? That's abuse? We got our hair pulled, our ears pulled on, our wrists slapped with rulers and our butts spanked with wooden paddles. This is precisely why I would never want to teach kids these days. What ARE you supposed to do with a kid that is acting out these days? The teacher has nothing to control a child, EVER. So, of course, the wild child is never going to learn a thing. That's just not right. I am not sure what the solution is because, obviously, I was raised in different times. We taught our children respect and how to use it. Just like I said though, I would NEVER want to go into teaching these days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I went to private school in 1978 and 79 for the 7th and 8th grade. There was a teacher who would put duct tape over the mouths of those speaking out of turn. She also tied kids to their desks with a crossing gaurd belt if they did not remain seated, or sit correctly in the chair. If you did not have your homework to turn in,you had to stand beside your desk for the class, as you did not deserve a seat. Needless to say, she did not work there longer than one school year. By the time I hit 8th grade she was gone.
    Personally, I would raise holy hell if that happened to my child! My kids are not discipline problems, but even if they were, that is WAY over the top.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's just plain stupid. All that teacher did was prove that she knows jack about effective teaching.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2010