Growing concern? Feminists encourage Unibrows for Charity

Unibrows for a cause: Feminist website encourages women to make December ‘Decembrow’ for cause of their choice

This holiday season, Feministing.com, an “online community for feminists,” is encouraging women to opt out of eyebrow waxing appointments in favor of looking like “Frida,” the girlfriend of Marxist Diego Rivera.

In response to “Movember,” a charity effort to raise awareness and money for prostate and testicular cancer during the month of November by having men grow moustaches, Feministing.com is calling for women to grow unibrows during December, which they are trying to dub “Decembrow.”

“While women in the U.S. generally rock two groomed brows, I say let’s be inspired by Movember and take this opportunity to let our facial hair grow…for a cause,” the Feministing.com website says.

While Movember is specifically targeted toward raising awareness and funds for prostate and testicular cancer, Feministing.org is simply telling women to participate in Decembrow for the cause “cause of your choice.”

For those who don’t already have unibrows, Feministing.com suggests acquiring a real one using herbal remedies or merely faking one with an eyebrow pencil.

While supportive of the charity aspect of the project, Penny Nance, the CEO of Concerned Women for America, was unsure of how and why “Decembrow” will help further the feminist movement.

“While I applaud the effort to raise awareness and funds to stop prostate cancer, I find it curious that feminists would choose to embrace facial hair and mostly wonder how that is different than any other month of the year,” Nance wrote in an e-mail to The Daily Caller.

Erica Jong, an American columnist and author, expressed a mix of support and confusion with regards to the “Decembrow” movement.

“As a blonde whose eyebrows disappear into her face I can’t do the unibrow thing, but I applaud anything that galvanizes women to show the power we have and often fail to use,” Jong wrote in an e-mail to TheDC.

But Jong wasn’t sure that emphasizing a woman’s appearance is all that empowering.

“I wish we could use our power to support womens’ and childrens’ welfare rather than focusing on appearance – -but whatthehey. Let’s do it to garner attention and show that we’re still here and still want true equality rather than scraps…Whatever challenges the antifeminist divide-and-conquer strategy of the wingnuts delights and inspires me,” Jong wrote to TheDC.

sidesplittinglaughter

Will YOU grow a Unibrow?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/12/06/feminist-website-encourages-women-to-make-december-decembrow-for-cause-of-their-choice/#ixzz17RegD84Q

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lol. This is so pathetic it's funny. Ok cm feminist progressives~ here is your calling !!!! ROFL!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not on your life.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've been a feminist for many years but this just seems silly. So many better (and more intelligent) ways to offer our support to our favorite causes.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I consider myself a feminist but will stick to keeping up with my eyebrow threadings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No thanks!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• So we're supposed to ask our friends and family to sponser us in growing a unibrow (is that even possible in a month), but who do we donate the funds to?

If it's just to raise awareness on women's rights, then I'll continue to support our local shelters, girl's clubs and educational activities.

Maybe I'll go all out and tell everyone where I like to have sex on Facebook! That should be just as effective!
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No. I support some feminist causes, but I don't support unibrows for anyone. LOL Seriously, I think there could be a better way to raise awareness besides unibrows (which some people can't even grow) and generally focusing on appearance instead of things that really matter.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Nah, think I'll pass. Funny post, though. Thanks for the laugh.

rolling on floor

cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm surprised the article describes Frida Kahlo as someone's girlfriend instead of as an artist herself.

I neither wax nor tweeze anyway.. but can't grow a unibrow if I wanted to. Hell, the hair on top of my head is starting to thin!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'll have to take a pass. I can't grow a unibrow, but it's not a good look on anyone. We used to call it Eagle Brow since they end up looking like two huge eagle wings.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2010