Would you sacrifice your children's mommy time to make more cash?

Hi moms

I don't really know how to say this in a better way but would you work more hours, pay a babysitter to take care of your children so you can earn more money? I have two little ones under the age of 4 and my husband told me, he would like us to sacrifice for a year and try to pay off our credit cards. Right now, I work part time while the kids are in school which is only 31/2 a day. I just don't know if it will be worth it. I need your input, please!!!!!!!!!!!

bratgirln1

Asked by bratgirln1 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• If I had to I would. But I wouldn't do it for "extra cash" that we didn't NEED. I work part time but it's still during the day Monday-Friday and it still feels like I hardly see my son during the week so I wouldn't increase my hours unless I absolutely had to.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's not a question anyone can answer without more information. And even then, really it's a personal choice, and a case-by-case basis. Do you need more money to have more and better food, a more reliable vehicle, a roomier house? Or do you need some extra spending money for weekly trips to the mall with your girlfriends? -- just for one question.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• well how much are you gonna be paying a baby sitter? are you gonna make anough to make a difference? Thats why i stay home with my kids, because if i had someone watch my kids and i worked part time, then it would all be goin to the baby sitter/daycare. but my kids are both under two and are not in school.
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 11:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes. Though being a parent and being involved with your children is very important, paying off your debt is important as well. With debt looming over your heads you face potential repo of your vehicle, forclosure, being sued by the company you owe, etc. There are too many risks involved that could seriously damage your family's livelihood by not taking care of your debt. When that debt is paid off and you put forth a smarter financial budget, then you can go back to part-time and spend more time with your children. Your family's livelihood is important to maintain and that does mean taking care of your debt.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yeah, If it meant being able to take better care of my children in the long run, there is nothing I wouldn't give up - including mommy time... Homeless families get lots of one on one time, but it's not really something I want to explore!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No never you could never get that time back again. They grow up fast. Now what you can do is babysit for extra money? That is what I did, it was hard but worth it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If it meant keeping my head above water, YES. When it comes to feeding your family, paying your bills, putting a roof over your family's head... YES, YES and YES!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• First I would cut-out what we can... Turn off the cable. Use electricity Less. Turn off or downgrade internet service. same for cell phone. smaller christmas & bday. become a coupon queen... and just make sure we are really stretching the dollars we already have. change adds up!
    If you do that & find a temp job you may be able to have that extra job for less than a year. Maybe just find a job during certain days (work M/W/F so u still get 2 days+weekends with ur kids)... getting an extra job doesnt mean sacrificing all your time. also you have to make sure with babysitting $$ the job is really worth it.. (u have to think about babysitting money, possible clothes for job, more gas/oil/tire changes since ur driving more)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, would start a work at home business and work my ass off so i wouldnt have to sacrafice such important time. Life is sooo short. You may be gone tommorrow in a flash. You never know.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes. I do that already.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2010