how to put my baby to sleeep!!!

my baby is 5 months now.. and he is always fighting with me when it's bed time.. i have a bed time routine,,,, and have read the no cry sleep solution.. and i'm still stuck... what have you other mom have done to get ur baby to slef sooth..and how long did it take??? i don't think i have it in my heart to let him cry..he has a short temperment... and stubborn... IDK... help!

littlepeele

Asked by littlepeele at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This happened to 2 of my kids just walk around with them turn all the lights off and rub there heads give them a bath then put them to bed something will have to work.
    Soldierwife7

Answer by Soldierwife7 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my son didn't do well with self soothing. I finally decided since I couldn't handle him crying for more than a couple minutes that I'd hold him until he fell asleep, then put him in his crib. I sat down every night at 9 or so, and snuggled with him. It usually only took 10 minutes and he was out like a light. He was a month preemie, so I was willing to do whatever to make sure he got the rest he needed.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It sounds like you have a routine.  Just make sure it is a routine that is always the same. Like a  bath (at night),  diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby gets drowsy lay him  down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping.  We always had a consistent routine and the lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.  I wish you the best.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Stick with what you're doing. But it's still early for self soothing. He will sleep better when HE is ready to do so. All you can really do is make things conducive to it... he needs to make that final leap on his own.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Mine has had a rountine from the beginning play, eat , bath, lotioned up put in pajamas or sleeper, bottle, story. Rock for a couple of minutes and in the crib he goes. They go through growth spurts all at different times. My son is stubborn as well, but we have were if he cries we give him 10 minutes and then we check on him, change him, comfort and then leave. IF he's still crying we let him. I know he's safe and taken care of so he' needs to learn to self soothe.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My little guy did the same thing, it started when he began to learn new things, sitting up, trying to crawl etc. We just consistently stuck with a bedtime routine and eventually he got the hang of it! Good luck to you!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with the other moms...stick to your routine...at least as much as you can. I found that some white noise...like the vacuum cleaner running works wonders...or I used a cool mist humidifier on high so it made the loudest hum...my daughter normally went to sleep fairly well with that on. I know I was a very fussy baby at night and my daughter was the same way, sometimes a car ride in the neighbor will do the trick!! Have you tried any of these ideas, or one of those moving fish light...the fish picture moves and it looks like they are swimming...or now they make globe type night lights that project images onto the ceiling. Maybe a night light like one of those would work!
    B-rit_32506

Answer by B-rit_32506 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• All three of my babies slept in their cribs and by two or three months they were sleeping at least 7 hours ....no waking,no crying. If they sleep with you, they will be wakeful and won't be able to sleep well.....just don't get into that trap of sleeping with the baby. It never works.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• it's ur fault he's like that then
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2010