Anyone have a boy that still pees the bed at age 7?

My son was potty trained at age 3, and we never had a problem after that with bed wetting. Now, at age 7, he has started wetting the bed almost every single night. We have started buying goodnights, but he is embarrassed by them and I would like to know if there are any moms out there who have dealt with this. We limit his drinks, and don't allow any 2 hours before bedtime. He always goes to the bathroom right before bed, and we even wake him up once in the middle of the night to go pee. He STILL wakes up wet. He says he just doesn't wake up. There has been no tramatic or sygnificant event that I think would cause this. Thank you for any advice!

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 12:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter still does and she is ten. She is such a heavy sleeper and can't wake up when she has to go. I have taken her to a Dr. She said she will eventually grow out of it. Just be patient.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my son has to wear training underpants at night.....we do the same things, he's 6, but he will still peee during the night 3-4 nights a week. We also limit his drinking close to bedtime and have talked to our doctor and he said that some kids take longer for their bladders to fully develop and that he may be a deep sleeper. There are things that can be done to help, such as these moisture alarms, but most kids do outgrow it. For now we continue to use the training underpants. I do reward him for staying dry with a chart and when he goes a certain number of days in a row he earns a prize.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Talk it over with his pediatrician. My nephew used a nasal spray prescription to help him stay dry. He needed it for a long time. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've got a 10 year old boy that still does every so often. Some kids just don't develop the ability to hold it all night until they are much older. He'll grow out of it eventually - it's annoying, not dangerous.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He is probably growing. Many children experience regression during growth spurts because of their increased need for sleep, and the tendency for the bladder to be one of the last things to grow. If your son does not want to use overnight pants, you could use a disposable absorbent pad on the bed itself. Let him know that this will pass, and encourage him to verbalize his feelings about what's going on. Our son had this exact problem at the same age, your son is not alone!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Also, remember that he has no control over this and that he likely feels really, really badly that it happens. Having parents upset about it too will just make him feel worse and make the problem that much worse to deal with. With my son, I try to remember that he'll be dealing with this from the other side when I'm in my 90's.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My 7 year old did for a while. He spent a weekend at my friends house who had dealt with this before with his 10 year old and he came back with the tools to be able to stay dry. He was dry 2 nights in a row which hadn't happened and it gave him the belief that he could do it and I started to use my friends methods. Pretty much I woke him up when I went to bed to take him to the bathroom. He no longer wets.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• hi i have a little 7 year old boy and have been been going through this bed wetting with him he had been dry from the age of 3 i was very worried about this so i took him to see his gp and he was admitted to hospital and diagonised as been a diabetic please get youe child to a gp as this is a sign it is terrifing but get your child checked out.
    stefin

Answer by stefin at 5:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He's probably just growing and sleeping really heavy. My dd slept in GoodNights until she was 8 because of her heavy sleeping. We didn't limit liquids, we just let her grow out of it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If he'd always wet the bed I'd say... Not really a big deal BUT you said he had NOT wet since 3 and NOW started... Mom something is prob. up... I would take him/talk to the peditrician. It could be bladder, kidney issues. A UTI, diabetes, something happened that YOU don't know about ... it could be anything but the fact that he DIDN'T for 4 years and NOW does... that sends up red flags.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010