What are some good rules to follow when naming your kids?

With my frist two we went with family names. With our third, we didn't wnat to do a family name but everyone seems to have ideas on the best way to pick a name or things to avoid.

Have any suggestions of thing to think about or things to aviod when trying to pick a name?

(we don't know the sex of the baby yet, we find out on Friday big smile mini)

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 12:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Baby Names

• I would advise picking a name that means something to you and your DH. Whether it is a family name, named after a special place, or a name fitting your ethnic background. It is much more likely that your child will like their name and be proud of it (no matter what it is), if it has a special meaning that you can share with them.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would avoid spelling the name really, really differently or your child will be forever saying "no my name is ____________" as well as always having to spell it out for people
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I just wanted to make sure the names flowed together well..and that the initials didn't spell anything bad.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Spelling the name in an odd way so no one will ever pronounce or spell it correctly. I always try to avoid that. I always try to pick a name that my husband and I both like, not just something he likes or something I like. I also try to avoid names that rhyme. Like Kyla Lila or something like that.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Dont give them one they cant spell or pronounce also do not give them one that can be easily teased
    MaybeMommy1994

Answer by MaybeMommy1994 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I didn't know there were any rules- just goes with what feels right!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Make sure you casn yell it and it flows well, you don't want to be yelling for your kid at park and it sound like tongue twister or stutter.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Try to imagine the name on the plaque of a corner office, or with the title "Dr." in front of it. For instance, I hardly think anyone would choose a Dr. Bambi Jones if given the choice. Think of the child as an adult, he/she will spend most of his/her life that way, don't name them something "cute" as they will only be little for a short time...and for the love of pete, don't match the name to their siblings, they are not accessories they are individuals. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Do NOT name your children similar sounding names (like Colin and Colton) or rhyming names (Patti and Matti) - that can be confusing. Also spell the name correctly- some of the 'cutesy' spellings make the name hard to pronounce, and as the child grows up do they really want to correct everyone on how to say or spell their name?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Do not use rhyming names. Hannah and Savannah for example.
    Do not go out of your way to find unique spelling for a name. If the name is "Annie" then leave it spelled as everyone knows it, because your child will have a horrible time correcting everyone. If you go with a unique name make sure that it's not soo out there that nobody knows how to pronounce or spell it. Like Harmonquin or something. If you choose a unique name do not make it something like Mercedes, Sunshine, or something of that nature. Naming children after objects will only get them teased.

You should name a child something that means something to you and your husband. Whether it's a favorite author that inspired you, a name that has biblical ties, or a name that reminds you of a special time in your life. That way the name will have substance even if it is something as simple as "Annie".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010