Has anyone had a bat in their attic?

Last night while we were laying in bed, we heard what sounded like a cricket in our attic. We have access to the attic through our bedroom closet ceiling. I was freaking out..how nasty! I think it is a bat, but Im not sure. Not too sure what to do, b/c we dont have $ to call an exterminator. We live in an old house, and have had 2 in our actual house in the 5 yrs we lived there.

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• LOL! Ewww... I had a friend who went to wake her son up in the morning, looked over at the wall and there was a bat hanging from the ceiling. Imagine that!! Does it have any way to get into your living area? You might just pick up the phone and call and exterminator, sometimes they will tell you how to get the bat out yourself. (I like the lazy ones that don't feel like coming out to your house, so they give up all their tricks...) (evil laugh inserted here)...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well, if you leave it alone it will eventually either fly out, or pass on. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes, actually we have a maternity colony of bats living in our eaves....well, they were living there, but have moved to a warmer place for the winter, but they will be back when it warms up here. Thankfully, where they are, they do not have access into our attic or our house, but still. We called a guy to remove them, you are not allowed to exterminate bats as they are protected. They are actually VERY good to have around as they eat so many mosquitos, but you definitely don't want them IN your house. Anyway, the guy told us last year to wait until it got cold enough that they all left and then seal up all the places they could get in. DH did that last fall/early winter, but he must have missed a spot because we had them again this year, although, instead of about 14, we only had about 4. If there is a bat in your attic that you want out, CALL ANIMAL CONTROL. They will remove it for free and be able to tell if its sick.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why are bats gross? We like them around our house because they eat mosquitos. Granted, I wouldn't want them IN the house. They are also protected in Wisconsin.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Let me know if you have more questions, we really learned alot about it. But again, DO NOT try to remove the bat yourself...call animal control.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Gramsmom, thanks for that info. I didnt even think about animal control.
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• we had one and it was in my son closet so when he open the door he jump back and fell on the floor all his friends where screaming like girls afraid of this dame bat so my daughter picked it up and let it go out side ,we all had good laugh
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We had one in my mom's old house, she got it cornered in a room, opened the windows, closed the door and it flew out.
    I had one at my office once - my supervisor had been up in the attic getting the window a/c units down and installing them, and he disturbed a little bat. It flew down to the reception area, so a client and I closed ourselves in my office and the supervisor took a magazine and shoo'd it out the door.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• FWIW, animal control was ADAMANT that you never try and get rid of the bat yourself. In our case, we found a sick bat on our patio, turned out it had rabies, we were all around it barefoot for quite some time before we realized it was there. We all had to get rabies shots. Not a fun experience.  In fact, they say that if you wake up and have a bat flying in your bedroom or whatever that you should get rabies shots even if you can't find a bite or scratch because the bites are so small and if you were sleeping while it was around you have no idea if it got you or not.  Rabies is FATAL, don't mess with that crap.  And once you have a symptom of rabies its too late, you're gonna die, don't take chances with bats.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well, I called our local animal control..and they said they dont get rid of bats. That I need to call an exterminator. Ugh!!
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010