Anyone else staying home with a 2 year old?

Any advice on how to deal with discipline? Do you give yourself breaks or time outs too?
I would love to share advice, wisdom and support! Thank you Mommies!
I need it!

Heathersmom2000

Asked by Heathersmom2000 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Haha. Theres no such thing as a time out or a break. Anytime that I have a spare second I'm doing house hold chores.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When mine was 2, I was staying home with him. If he did something he wasn't supposed to, I gated him in his bedroom. He could still play, but he was deprived of mommy for 2 minutes. It was hard the times he cried, but I added time if he cried the whole time because I didn't want him to think that crying would get him out of trouble. It worked. He's a wonderful 3 year old who rarely needs to go to his room as a punishment, but still loves spending time in there. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Time outs are very effective for us. It may take more than one, but he gets the message. We do them for 2 minutes, and we have a timer that he knows as the Time Out Timer, and it has an audible beep when it's done. Then when he's finished, we review why he was put into time out (now that he's verbal, I make him tell me why), then he has to apologize, kiss, hug, we say I love you, and then it's over. He goes and plays, and we let it go.
    We go to mommy group about once a week, so I get a break then, while he plays with his friends.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I take time for myself all the time. As well as diciplin him when he needs it.
    Right now he's eating Pears and watching "Thomas and Friends" on TV. Within view. I'm here eating a pear as well and browsing the internet. My youngest is asleep, so it's a perfect time for me to just take a minute for myself. I also take a moment for myself when they both go down for a nap. Chores are usually done at that time, but there's no harm in letting chores wait if I need extra ME time.

When it comes to diciplin he gets one warning and then a time out if he does it again. One minute for every year he is in time out, so two minutes total. If he throws his food on the floor he gets one warning, then gets lunch taken away if he does it again. If he pours his milk he automatically gets that taken away. If he gets onto the Table then his show gets turned off after a warning, then time out if he does it again. Just be consistant.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And follow through. Remember you can take time out for yourself if they're playing quietly. You can take time for yourself when they're sleeping. Don't think that because they're awake you need to spend every second with them. Quality time with your kids is very important, but they don't need you to be by their side every second of the day. And they shouldn't have that. They should learn to play by themselves, so they know it's okay to be by themselves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Each child has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. Plus make sure you spend enough one on one time with her/him. Plus praise him/her when they do things right. It goes a long way to fostering good behavior.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010