Tired of hearing about the 'War on Christmas' yet?

You're not alone--so here's another post about it. :-)

I found two interesting blogs on this topic, one from someone I presume isn't Christian, and one from someone who very definitely is.  They both offer similar perspectives. 

The first one revisits the whole Chase Bank story about how they supposedly got rid of a Christmas tree because it offended someone.  Not true.  It appears that they got rid of the first tree because it was donated by a customer, when the banks policy is that all decorations must come from the company itself, in the interest of uniformity, then replaced it with a company-sanctioned one.

The second one offers the perspective of a Christian woman who wrote an article for the Kalamazoo Gazette.  She points out that Christians should be appalled by all of this hullabaloo over Christmas decorations, symbols and music being commercialized and exploited by businesses whose main purpose is to sell, sell, SELL!

I thought these blogs were very interesting and offer a nice piece (or two) of sanity to balance the arguments.

I hope you enjoy them and will share your thoughts.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm Christian and I think the whole "War on Christmas" is ridiculous. I've said it before, I don't understand how people who have never been tortured, ridiculed, or had family members killed for their beliefs can possibly develop a persecution complex. Acknowledging that not everyone in the US is Christian seems much less detrimental to the faith than the over-commercialism at this time of year.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When I hear "war on Christmas" I think "mountains out of molehills". There is no war on Christmas, and I think that the majority of the problem is misinformation being spread. An entire community over-reacts when Walmart donates their Christmas trees early, and the emails start flying...Attention all Christians! Walmart is caving to the atheist agenda! People assume the worst when a bank replaces a Christmas tree. Someone kindly wishes another "Happy Holidays" and gets "Merry CHRISTMAS!" yelled back at them.

This morning I noticed a sticker on the back of a car that read, "Keep Christ in Christmas", and I thought, "Really?? Is it that important to you how I chose to celebrate (or not celebrate) a holiday?" I think the entire concept of war on Christmas is absurd and annoying.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Again I post:

Keep Christ Out Of Xmas

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• or maybe Victoria’s Secret could do their own take on the Nativity scene, with Mary in a Sexy Little Thing nightgown and Joseph in Santa boxers.

Oh do you remember the big uproar a few Christmases ago where a clothing store did something like this and "Mary" was in a short dress sitting with baby Jesus in her lap.......I think it was in Los Angelos or something.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm Christian and I think the whole "War on Christmas" is ridiculous. I've said it before, I don't understand how people who have never been tortured, ridiculed, or had family members killed for their beliefs can possibly develop a persecution complex. Acknowledging that not everyone in the US is Christian seems much less detrimental to the faith than the over-commercialism at this time of year.

clappingI could not of said it better myself, especially since these toddlers are zapping my brain cells....Thank you!

Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They are very interesting.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Here's a quote from the Julie Mack article:

We Christians are really supposed to be offended when our Lord’s birth isn’t invoked to sell flat-screen televisions? The AFA honestly thinks the sacredness of the holiday is violated when the word “Christmas” isn’t on a Radio Shack sales flier? Perhaps they think CVS should work the virgin-birth theme into their pregnancy-test display, or maybe Victoria’s Secret could do their own take on the Nativity scene, with Mary in a Sexy Little Thing nightgown and Joseph in Santa boxers.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It was very interesting, I often wonder what happened to this season being a peaceful one with good will to all men and women?

Answer by older at 12:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Acknowledging that not everyone in the US is Christian seems much less detrimental to the faith than the over-commercialism at this time of year

THIS^
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010