am i a bad person?

my fil died and was buried on my bday. i'm upset about his death, but i'm happy because i got to see many friends and family that i haven't seen for awhile. the kids got to see their cousins and had a blast with them. does this make me a bad person for feeling like that?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• NO, not at all. I am sure you FIL would want you to just celebrate his life and ot his death. Nothing wrong with being happy to see friends and family.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, its good that you can find something good out of a bad and hurtful situation.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not at all. So sorry about your loss.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Were you close with your FIL? If not, then it's not unnatural to not feel as much grief.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No it doesn't. It's actually kind of sad that funerals are like family reunions but that's how it is. I was happy to see some people after my grandfather died a few years go.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No I think it's fine your not a bad person
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think that generally at funerals people see people that they have not seen in awhile and are happy to see them, not happy about WHY they are there, but to see and reconnect with people that they may have lost touch with. I know that my DH had several deaths over two years and people reconnected and then were able to stay connected. We now have a get together one or two times a year, I don't think you're a bad person for enjoying seeing family.
    Anonymous

• he got switched to a hospital that was only an hour drive, so we spent the last two months in the hospital on the weekends. he basically told us he was ready for death. he was 83 and the va did something to his legs when they were trying to fix something else. we tried to visit him as much as possable before he died.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• im sorry fo your loss but it was great to see family & friends
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No. It is the cycle of life and being with loving family at these times helps cushion the grief. My condolences.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010