Were you adopted & are you happy that you were? Would you adopt yourself?

I was adopted at age 5 & looking back it was the best thing that ever happened to me. And my hopes are that i will be able to adopt as well.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Adoption

• My best friend was adopted at 8. She was raised by good parents who did a lot for her and gave her everything she needed, but once she turned 18 she reconnected with her birth family and is now torn between the 2 very different lives. I can only imagine what that's like.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When my kids get older I might. I have heard it can be really expensive though. I just hate the though of an empty house.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My mother is my mother, but I was partly adopted by her second husband. And No, I'm not happy that I was. I would prefer to have simply had him as a "step-dad" than as a "dad" seeing how he turned out to be less than either!

Would I ever adopt? An older child, yes, an infant or young child, no. I simply don't do well with the young years so well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There's no way for you to actually know for sure if its the "Best thing that ever happened" to you. You didnt grow up with your original family so there' s nothing to compare it to. All you know is being adopted.
    Anonymous

• Vote it down if you want. You all know its true. I can bet everyone who voted it down is an adoptive parent!
    Anonymous

• I'm glad I was adopted-and I do have something to compare it to. I never really thought about adopting when I was younger and in the child bearing years. Now that I know more about adoption I might consider it but I am too old now.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Anonymous-

Actually yes i do know it was the best thing. My mother was an immigrant my father a drug user and seller not talking bout small time i mean big time & to this day he is still on the run for the things he has done i will not go all into it but the last time i spoke to him was 5 years ago & i want nothing more to do with him. He was abusive mentally and physically to my mother also my mother did not know how to take care of me & my sisters she would always leave us alone in the apartments with my 8 year old sister having to take care of us which no child should ever have to do. My mother was a partier and was always with men & chose them over us. We had to fend for ourselves a 8 year old a 4 year old and a 3 year old. We literally had to beg for food from neighbors & dig out of trash cans. I believe God was with us because I'm surprised we made it & were never abducted or anything like that.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I won't go into more detail because i would prefer not to. But we were found by a police officer walking on the side of the highway with only old full diapers on and dirty clothes & a bottle of spoilt milk was the only thing we had to drink.It happened for a reason & a year later we were adopted by a wonderful family.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

• Adopted, not happy about it.
    Would only adopt if it fell into my lap, so to speak (i.e. a close friend or family member could not care for their own child and needed help and for some reason needed me to actually adopt) I wouldn't actively seek to adopt.
    LiliMama18

Answer by LiliMama18 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was adopted as an infant from S Korea. A year later they adopted my brother from S Korea. After years and years of tyring and 7 miscarriages they had my sister right after they got my broth lol. Yes I am very happy and glad to have them as my parents. They are amazing and I feel blessed to come from such a wonderful upbringing!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2010