How to treat a babies cold?

My six month old has a cold he got from his big brother. How should i treat the cold? I'm having my husband pick up the little noses drops to help me loosen everything up when i go to suck it out and I've got the vaporizer going. Do they still sell infants cold and cough medicines? I told him to look and see if he could find any.

KRISTAL_WILDER

Asked by KRISTAL_WILDER at 1:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's reccommended that you NOT use infants cold medicine. It does nothing and can be easily overdosed. Just keep going with the saline drops and vaporizer.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well you should see a doctor about it, since your baby is so young. You should never give a small child any medicine before seeing a doctor, plus they might prescrib or recommend something better.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Shanna84 is also right.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There aren't any cold medicines for a child as young as yours. When my son has a cold, I give him a bath before bed, suction his nose and put children's Vicks on his chest and back. He also sleeps with a cool mist humidifier on, he seems to sleep better. If the cold hangs around for a while, or his boogers start to turn green, then I would take him to the doctor.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sounds like what you are doing now is good maybe just some baby vapor rub if anything else
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 1:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Its about 13 degrees right now and the roads are slick so I'm really trying to avoid getting him out. I dont think the dr can do anything besides give him cold medicine. I will try to get a hold of the nurse again at the dr office to see what she thinks though when she gets back from lunch.
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Comment by KRISTAL_WILDER (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh baby vapor rub I forgot about that stuff thanks for the reminder
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Comment by KRISTAL_WILDER (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've found that my son gets a cold, he needs lots of rest. I put on my son when he has a cold vicks vaporrub on his feet and put socks on, and also on his chest and back.
    I wouldn't get the baby vapor rub. just get the regular. I've found the baby stuff does nothing.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with sillylins! Putting on his feet and putting socks on works great!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• they don't infants cold / cough medicine anymore. the only thing you can do is give tylenol for fever and my dr recommended turning on the hot shower to create steam. which helps clear up the babies nose. i would sit in the steaming hot bathroom for about 30 minutes before bed time. i also had the nasal saline drops and the nasal aspirator on hand.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010