I'm not usually a religious debater...

simply because I'm not informed nearly enough to make a good argument. I was just reading a question asked from the beginning of the year and she asked "If you say God SPEAKS to you...What does he sound like? Does he have a deep, manly baratone voice? A high girly one? Does he have an accent? How do you know you're talking with anyone but yourself? " She then followed by saying after years of begging Him and receiving nothing she became Atheist. I'm a little confused. People actually think that God will answer all of their questions? I am of Christian faith, probably not as much as I should, but I go to church and say grace before eating, but isn't that a bit selfish of us that do believe. To think he will give us anything we ask for. I have my faith for my own reasons and I'm not putting her down for her own beliefs but I was puzzled at the thought of even expecting someone to answer to all of our expectations, desires, wishes, etc.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you, but the sad part is that a lot of people only remember God in time of need.

Answer by older at 1:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes, he doesn't answer all of our prayers. He does that for a reason. We have to suffer sometimes to make us stronger.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• agree! and it's a metaphor (so to speak) when God "speaks" to you...it's not an actual voice talking to you lol.......God chooses to speak to us are through direct revelation, dreams, written words, prophets, circumstances, angels, and through the Holy Spirit.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He does answer all of our prayers, just not necessarily with the answer we think we want or in the time we expect. It's like a mother praying for her child to turn away from a destructive life (drugs, alcohol, crime, etc) and it may be years later before that happens although we expect to get the answer immediately. And while we may pray for a loved one to be cured from a terminal illness, God may have a different plan which is to deliver that person from that illness by taking her or him home to be with Him.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with you. Also, I think that people asking things of God need to remember, that sometimes His answer is No. Just like a parent guiding their child and decided what is best for them, that is how God is with us.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ceallaigh, I do believe He answers some of our prayers in ways we never expected. For instance, when I was pregnant I was only 14 and didn't want to be pregnant. Every night I would ask Him if he would help me (terminating the pregnancy. Come on I was only 14) but I actually had a healthy baby girl with no prenatal care. I thanked Him because he did help me just not in the way I had asked. But isn't it a bit selfish to think He'll answer everyone of our prayers? If He takes someone away from this earth that has been suffering would He be answering your prayer? No, He'd be answering there's probably. I think He lets us live our own life with a tiny bit of His assistance.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I didn't read the question you're referring to, but usually when someone says something along the lines of the other poster, what they are meaning is that they believed for many years, prayed for many years, and never received an answer. It isn't that they were expecting God to give them everything or answer every prayer. I think the point is that they felt God never did, at all, which led them to no longer believing.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I believe that God gives answers to all of our prayers-I just don't believe that he is a magic genie in a lamp who grants every wish we throw his way. So when God gives an answer to our prayer it may not be the one we were praying for but. God tells me what to do in my life when I ask for his guidance, but I have never once heard the voice of God-he guides my heart and I know when it is him telling me to do something.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i wasnt raise to believe in god... my parents dont. but through my life i have gained faith. i do think god answers me. when i ask for guidence a thought will pop into my head... usually it is something i hadnt thought about it before or a different perspective... it isnt a voice... and i do think god speaks though people. but i dont think you can beg god to change things and expect to see physical change... that isnt the way it work. sometimes bad stuff Has to happen to you - to shape you into the person he/she needs you to be to serve your purpose in this world.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies that God does answer all prayer and that sometimes the answer is no or not yet. Also, many people expect results right away, and further, sometimes we are not in fellowship with Him and we need to "get right" with him before we can progress, if you know what I mean. For example, we can't pray for financial gain and expect an abundance if we refuse to sew into the gospel. We will be provided for, but not at a breakthrought level. Also, like someone else mentioned, sometimes for people we love who are sick, the answer is for them to go. It would be nice if everyone was healed back to life, but many times they are healed by going to be with the Father. If we learn to open our eye of faith, we will be able to see God in all our circumstances and if we listen close enough, we will hear His guidance.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010