Head Banging = More?

My 14 month old has now started theterrible 2's early as usual but he gets mad at every little thing and throws himself to the ground and whacks his head as hard as he can on the floor a few times. he also smacks himself in the head. it's getting really bad, i want to ignore it and let him throe them but i've had to save him from doing on the concrete now because one second he's happy and the next its all over. He will bite and pinch himself, cry till he nearly throws up and more. he is also in the start of his molar teething stage and i think this high tantrum level started about the same time. i dont know if its because of teething or something else. when i talk to people about it they all say "oh all babies have that stage" but then when some of those people see them (including well trained mommies) they are worried for him and me... which of course worries me more.

babyneil

Asked by babyneil at 11:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly think that part of why your child may be acting this way is the teething in and of itself. My husband, when he was a child, would slam his head against the floor and physically harm himself whenever he was teething. My mother-in-law even said that she had considered buying him a helmet because she was so afraid he would actually cause himself brain damage! See your pediatrician about this as soon as you can, they can give you some reasoning on why he may be acting this way.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I think they all go through a tantrum stage, but if you think he will really hurt himself, I would ask the pediatrician for some advice. Mine did start tantrums around 2 years 4 months, but just kind of stomped and screamed a little. We ignored him, and that worked very well. Now if he starts we remind him to use his words. But for you, I see where you can't use the ignore technique, maybe teach him words, or signs for feelings?
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My son is only 11 months old, but we have a problem with tantrums, also. As long as your son is not hurting himself, I think that it is okay to ignore him. However, it sounds like he is trying to inflict harm! In my opinion, you should restrain him in your arms until his tantrum ends. I've been trained in crisis prevention intervention (for special needs students) and whenever a situation turns violent towards self or others, we are supposed to use restraint. He may hurt you, but at least he won't be hurting himself. It sounds like he is out of control and it is your job as the parent to show him how to maintain control when he is hurting, upset, or overtired.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Maybe he has a serious problem like ADHD or maybe he's bipolar. It could be something more serious than a tantrum.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• i feel your pain!! my daughter headbutts, hits, scratches, and bites ME! she used to hit her head on the floor but she got over that. i have heard when they do this instead of spankings and what not you are supposed to ignore it and try not to show them your face. it killllls me to do this though. i usually do what jacobs mom says and restrain her. sometimes she just wants to be held. i try talking to her comely and rocking her. that works best usually.
    scarletsm0m

Answer by scarletsm0m at 11:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2008