Does it offend you...

when people say their prayers are with you or that they will pray for you and that isn't your belief system? I don't mean praying for your soul or anything, just if you are sick or going through a rough time. What do you say when someone says that to you?

I don't mind. It is like saying good luck or keeping my fingers crossed. If it makes them happy to pray for my health or for things to look up then more power to them.

What do you think?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 1:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm an atheist and I appreciate when someone keeps me in their prayers when they know I am going through a rough time. It's all positive thoughts which is positive energy being put out there.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It doesn't it is all meant in good wishes, no reason to be offended by that.

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The only time I've ever been offended by someone saying they'd pray for me is when it was said in condescension.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• While I am not a religious person, if someone says "I'll pray for you in your time of need (or whatever)" I am not offended. It is not like they are trying to 'convert' me to their religion, they are only trying to help and that is their way of offering comfort and they do mean well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It annoys me to an extent because mostly its coming from strangers. i always get the feeling that they're trying to get some brownie points with God. I don't mind it from loved ones because I know their intent is because they love me. I figure the strangers are just saying it,not really doing it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Unless I know someone is saying that with the purpose of pissing me off, I take it for the good intention that it is. Sort of like thanking my kids for the beautiful piece of artwork they've just made. I don't necessarily need to appreciate how the pigment went onto the paper to appreciate the little gift that it is. I won't ever turn up my nose to someone wishing me well.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If you get offended by a well meaning kind thought and gesture, you have a problem and need to deal with your anger issues.
    Anonymous

• I'm an atheist, and I actually don't mind. I don't believe that their prayers will have any outcome on my situation. But it makes them feel better to pray for me so I can't be mad about that.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• This reminds me of Dane Cook and his God bless you story....."nothing happens when you die" (not meant to be a bash on anyone). But if wasn't Christian I don't think I would mind. They aren't making you pray with them or anything.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It bothers me because in my religion it's an abomination. You don't ask FOR things - gods aren't ATM's. if you want to beg, do it for yourself, don't drag me into your mess.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010