Seeing / Hearing Ghosts???

I am wondering what other people's opinions are about whether or not everyone has the ability to see and hear ghosts and spirits, or only certain people. I have heard that one has to have that "gift", but I'm not sure about that.
Does one have to have some sort of psychic ability, or is anyone capable? I have heard footsteps before, and a child's voice speaking when I once stayed at a haunted hotel, but I have never "seen" any apparitions.

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 1:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've heard many things, seen objects lifted and thrown to the ground and once saw a shadow from a nightlight when there was nobody there.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We're all born with the ability but we "forget" how to because we're taught that its all make believe.
    I have at least 1 in my house and he's very active. just last night he kept walking thru my bedroom as I was on the computer. I see him out of the corner of my eye.
    I felt my grandma's spirit last Tuesday right after she passed,and felt her there at her funeral.
    I've been able to see/feel/hear them ever since I was 4

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I feel we all had the ability as young children, but if not taught how to continue it or "harness" it, it fades away. I have had things happen after close friends have passed, but never seen an actual ghost. My gramma is her last stages of life and my cousin had a dream she was at her coffin, then a few nights later she thought gramma was at the foot of her bed....coincidently this was the same evening gramma told my parents she was to heaven (this was last week, gramma is now home with family and hospice care ... she is alzheimers as well, I believe alzheimers individuals are in and out of heaven frequently before they pass)
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• as young kids we all can see and feel and smell - etc sprits.... i certainly did. i knew someone who was a ghost in my rents house - he would watch us sleep... freaked me out - then when my second child was being moved to hospice care ... the whole NICU got this weird smell - my gma's perfume and i swear to god i could feel her there and everyone could smell it. my dad came in and he noticed it. i just said - yup she's here say hi to your mom - she is getting cyrus. (my son that died) they are all around. i dont know why. but i ignore them most of the time. mostly they dont want anything other than to watch us. sometimes they are sent for a purpose like my gma.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I believe we all experience spirits all the time, just as we get older, we close our minds to it. People who are "gifted" tend to be (at least in my experience) more open to the idea, so more likely to see something.

Personally, I grwe up in a house haunted by a family member. It was hard to be afraid of something that came to check on you when you were sick and warned you when it wasn't safe (as when someone was breaking into the house and I was home alone.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I see them on occasion, but can't hear them. I am trying to work on that though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We're all born with the ability but we "forget" how to because we're taught that its all make believe. [butterfly] 

I am so glad you said that. I mean I know there are some others that feel the same, but wow! it is so nice to see! 

Anyway, we have several "guests" that live with us. Just today, one of "guests" (my FIL, my son, hubby's grandma, and one we brought with us that we call "George") said something in the hall. I cannot recall what the word was, but I asked hubby and he didn't say it so I knew it was one of them ... not grandma b/c it was male. 

I've always been able to see and hear them. Gets a little unnerving at times though. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• As children, we are all so close to the Other Side that we can easily see and hear the spirits as if they were still flesh and blood people. As we grow older and adults make fun of us, we subvert that gift and squelch it until we no longer have it. I am trying to re-discover the talents I had as a child and am able to sense the presense of a spirit, whether a guardian or a family member, but I can no longer see them as I did then. Work to hone and control those gifts, if you can. My group Spiritual Power has instructions and meditations that could help you do this. When you have left such a gift unused for such a long time, it can be a long road back. But, apparently, your own gifts are strong enough that they have stayed with you, so it should be easier for you to learn to control them.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• yes I think we are born with it and do forget or don't want to be teased...
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010