How long do you kids epi-pens last?

My son's first couple of epi-pens lasted 6 months each. Then we got one that lasted 3 months and this last one was only for 30 days. I am going to ask the pharmacy about this when we go back.

How long do your or your childs epi-pen last?

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 2:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The pediatrician renews our prescription at our annual visit so I guess I just assumed it would last the year until our next one.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They have expiry dates printed right on them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They have an expiration date. I always check to make sure the ones we are given are good for close to a year before leaving the pharmacy. If not I ask for new ones.

Dakee

Answer by Dakee at 2:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know they have the Exp. date on them, I just thought it was odd that some lasted for 6 months, then 3, and then 1.
    cassey.e

Comment by cassey.e (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Check the expiration date BEFORE leaving the pharmacy and if it isn't atleast a year until the expiration date, ask for another one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've never been given one that was for less than a year. Sounds like the pharmacy you're using is dumping old inventory on you. You might want to switch pharmacies and as tyfry said, check them before you leave.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 7:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have always wondered about this.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OH! Grr. The pharmacy unloaded an old one on you if it only lasted 30 days. They can last up to a year or 18 months. Ask for a later expiration date next time you refill. I had the pharmacy order new ones last time because they only had some that were set to expire in 3 months. No thanks. I needed some that would last the whole school year (sitting in the nurses office, just in case) and I got them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• I agree, check them first
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2010

• Doc told me to keep all expired epi-pens cause a patient died while waiting for the EMC on a golf course, he only had one pen. Keep your pens updated and save the old one in case of.................death. Buy a kit that maintains a normal temp etc...My doctor told me not to use the pen if it appears yellow. All meds decrease in power over time, but some power is better than none. If someone tries to sell you an epipen that expires in less than a year, move to a new country, or biff the pen across the room.
    wonderpops

Answer by wonderpops at 8:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2012