ADHD kids

My brothers and sister other sister has a child with ADHD and she complains that she does not sleep all the way through the night. I think she is 6 yrs old. I try to tell her just because she has a disability that is no need to let her do whatever she wants. Anybody have a kids with ADHD know how to get them to calm down (besides meds) and sleep?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 2:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ADHD is a disability?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What does ADHD have to do with not sleeping through the night? I'm almost 30 and do not sleep through the night. Some people are like that. There is no way to make a person sleep through the night when they're the type that doesn't.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And yeah, what cheekycherub said.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• oh I dont know I just see her saying that on facebook. that ADHD is the reason she is up
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ADHD is typically seen more as a disorder than a disease, though some scientists do call it a disease. The ADHD brain is different from the "normal" brain, yet ADHD is not like, say, diabetes where if not treated, one could die from the condition. So perhaps it's a matter of semantics.
    As for a disability, many believe that it depends on the severity of the ADHD. Some have mild ADHD; some have severe ADHD. If it's so severe that it impairs a person's functioning in school, at work or socially, it would be considered a disability. In fact, children and adults can be legally protected and get support in school and at work, because ADHD, when it is disabling, is covered under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

And yes, ADHD absolutely causes issues with sleep.
    ADD/ ADHD children often have trouble falling asleep. This may be due to either the ADHD itself, a result of medically treating the ADHD, or both
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My son has ADHD.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ADHD is a reason that a child would not fall asleep at night. My son had a lot of trouble winding down. We had him on Melatonin when he was 13-24. Now he seems to sleep OK. We changed his daily meds and it made a difference.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Im a Mom of 2 ADHD boys (now young men). I thank God they both beat the odds, and my oldest now 25 is a college grad and the other one is 20 in college. There is hope but parents need a lot of patience and SUPPORT from the family. They are HYPER! Just think like this. Can you MAKE a blind child see? Or a Child with cerebral palsy walk? You also can't MAKE a ADHD child be still. You have to find a way to distract them with things they like. My sons Loved to read. Their teachers discovered if they were sat in a corner with a bunch of books and told to read them and then write about them it helped to calm them down.
    Also ADHD kids are very smart. Their brains are working overtime, They have trouble sleeping because the brain is over stimulated.
    So.. that means, only calm activities before bedtime, No TV, maybe soft music. Establish a bedtime ritual, prayers, or read a story, talk about their day. They need structure. HTH
    GailTravel

Answer by GailTravel at 2:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• <3 mompam and GailTravel
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My daughter is very active and does not have ADHD and she has trouble staying asleep all night. Things that have helped her though are taking Omega 3 supplements, making sure she gets at least 30 minutes of real activity like jumping on a trampoline or sometimes we have a dance party. Also, fresh air, unless it is severe weather we try to get outside even if its just 10 minutes and her diet. Focus on wholesome foods and make sure she gets lots of protein.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010