transitioning to cows milk.

ok so my daughter is 10 months old, i just wanted to knw when i should start slowing transitioning to cows milk.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most will tell you to wait till she is a year old. All my kids were BF'd. I started mixing breast milk with cows milk when they were 9 months old. They were totally on cows milk by a year. There were no issues with a single one of them.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What's this 'should'?

Cow's milk is a food. It's not a mandatory food for human survival... millions of people all over the world don't eat it, ever, and never have. Once the child has weaned, there is no NEED for any other mammals' milk --not cow, not sheep, not otter, not elephant.

We're omnivores, and can eat a huge range of foods, from rotting meat to live insects, and not a SINGLE one of the millions of options available is necessary for survival --not plums, not crickets and certainly not milk.

Even if the Dairy Bureau keeps advertising how perfectly wonderful their product is. They're selling. You can buy or not, as you choose.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Hi, this is tricky. I had an extremely picky baby so I have tons (and no) information on everything regarding food. We started with the rice at about 6mos. Once we knew she'd eat that around 10-11 mos we started slowly adding some milk to the formula. maybe a little less than a quarter of the formula/rice bottle was replaced with milk. Then after about a week of that we went to a full quarter, after a week a little more. Then another week and a half and so on and so forth. Milk isnt as sweet and it's thinner so it takes a bit to get used to it, esp if your baby isnt eating solid (or jar) foods yet. Dont worry, it'll take until 12-14 mos before your baby will want milk. My little girl still doesnt actively ask for milk, but she'll drink it if i give it to her. I hope that helps!
    punkyheadbaby

Answer by punkyheadbaby at 2:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Wow! All she is asking is when the best time is to start trasitioning to cow's milk. NOT whether she should at all!! Was it really necessary to attack her?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My daughter told me last month when shes ten months half whole milk half formula. At one year no more formula. He said this way her stomach can adjust slowly.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 2:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Not till one year. Early introduction of dairy proteins can cause problems that aren't seen for MANY years.

I'm a big fan of "begin as you mean to go on." Put in cup, give to child. NOT a huge deal if she doesn't like it... water is dandy for hydration. Cow's milk is not necessary, just convenient, so no worries if she doesn't touch it. Mine never really cared for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I did the same as the 1st person, only I did it at 11 months. No issues.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I personally think it's ok to do it now if you wanted. I had my son drink 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk. Just ease into it is the key. He now has milk instead of formula and he's 13 months!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• M6y doctor told me 11.5 months. So at about then i started giving him like an ounce in a cup at 1 meal, then 2 then 3 and then i started upping the ounces over time. When he could drink a full 6oz cup a couple times a day, i threw out the bottles and stopped buying formula. This was a little after his first birthday. :) He has always done well with milk and liked it more than formula. Henever once cried for the bottle or formula once it was gone :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• With my son we started introducing cows milk a little at a time when he was 11 months... started with a couple of oz/day and slowly worked up. We didn't have him on all cows milk at 12 months we did breastmilk, toddler formula AND cows milk until he was about 16 months old, I wanted to be sure he was getting the right nutrition and he wasn't a great eater at 12 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010