Achieving Greatness

Are you the type of parent that let's their child find their own greatness or do you push them to be great?

http://litterali.squarespace.com/home/2010/12/6/modern-family.html

Check out my new blog on www.parentsreinvented.com

Ida

MomReinvented

Asked by MomReinvented at 2:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want them to be happy in whatever they choose. Would I like them to have it better than DH and I, yes, but that is for them to strive for not for me to push on them.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I want my child to be the best they can be, and I will always push them toward that level. But if the best they can be is a janitor I'll be happy. I want them to be happy, but I also dont want them to settle and be lazy.
    punkyheadbaby

Answer by punkyheadbaby at 2:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know three families who spent a lot of energy pushing their kids toward greatness. Two of them have suicides.

My kids can be what they want to be, happy, depressed, financially successful or just gettin' by --I love them because they're my kids, no performance is necessary.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It depends on how far you push them I think. I know some people who are pushed into sports and do very well and love them.
    Myself, my parents didnt push me to do anything, and thats exactly what happened. I did nothing extra, I just sailed my way threw school with C's. So I think some push is needed. It just depends on how far you go with it.
    milkieshakes

Answer by milkieshakes at 3:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What is your definition of "Greatness"?
    GailTravel

Answer by GailTravel at 2:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We're big fans on Modern Family on ABC. Last nights episode was an eye opener about pushing our kids to be great, for example, in sports. Then we find ourselves comparing our children to others and so the competition of being a parent comes into play.

Are you pushing them because you want them to have better than you had? (Think about this question, because it can go positive or negative.

Great responses folks!

Ida
    Founder/CEO Parents Reinvented
    www.parentsreinvented.com

MomReinvented

Comment by MomReinvented (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Would you agree that building a foundation of self-worth and value in the home would do any good? For sports, socialization in general?

Ida
    CEO/Founder of Parents Reinvented
    www.parentsreinvented.com
    MomReinvented

Comment by MomReinvented (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010