Would this bother you?

Now I need you to put yourself in my shoes without judgment.

My daughter and I were at the mall with our grandmother and two of her foster daughters. We got on the subject of iPhones and how I wanted one but being that I don't have a job because I'm in school I don't have any money and any money I do get I save for my daughter. I wasn't complaining just stating a fact and honestly my daughter will come before a phone any day. Anyways, her foster daughter looked at me and said "well maybe you shouldn't have had a kid" since I was young when I had my daughter. I wasn't insulted myself but then I thought about it more I thought "what if my daughter heard that?" She's four so she is capable of comprehending what she said. I can only imagine what she would have felt if she actually did hear that. Would it have bothered you the way it did me?

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, that would bother me. That was very rude.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would have told her to mind her own business.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Very much. That girl has a smart mouth and I can't say that I would have been as nice as you and apparently her foster mother were in that situation.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It would have really pissed me off, and I would have let that girl know right then and there that she needs to keep her mouth shut and mind her own business. How ridiculously rude, especially in front of your daughter, to say that maybe you shouldn't have had her!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That was extremely rude. Try not to worry about "what if". It'll drive you nuts.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I get it all the time when I'm alone and I don't care about that because I love my daughter and wouldn't give her up for anything. However, I've never had anyone say it in front of my daughter was a bit uncalled for.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would have also been upset at the grandmother for not correcting her. If that had been my child, their butt would be burning.
    Anonymous

• I would told her t mind her own business and talk to her mother about her mouth
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That was really rude and I would have been really upset!!
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No... a long time ago I discovered that the kinds of things that come out of people's heads are almost NEVER: thoughtful, intelligent, carefully considered, informed or kind.

I'm a sarcastic basket and am inclined to respond to statement like that with things like:

I suppose you'd give your mom the same advice, eh?

or

Now, where did I put my time machine...?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010