advice about my dog

ok sha is a dalmation almost 11 years old. I have 2 other dogs also one i just had 2 pay $700 for emergency surgery. the dalmation has been puking randomly far awhile, when u change her good she does better for a few weeks then starts again. she does it EVERYTIME on our area rug then i have to get anew one bc it stains and its a HUGE spot. i do not have the money to run test on her i just got laid off yesterday and still have the other bill pluse 2 kid, 1 is a baby. i am considering putting her down, i dont have real close feelings 4 her, she is just a dog is how i feel (which I usually don't I usually get really attached) for some reason with her I have never felt that way.. Anyway. I feel bad for thinking about it but I just can't afford to keep replacing the rugs and have her puking all over. I also don't want her to suffer from this either.. i don't know what to do, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I would put the dog down. I don't have $700 to keep a pet alive.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i would take her to a pet refuge or shelter. maybe they can help her and maybe she can find a forever home.
    revbeth

Answer by revbeth at 3:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• since i am a wife with tons of animals i say that you get rid of the rug and you dont have to be attached to your animals, witch in that case mabye u do, JK!! any way, you should remove all your rugs and if you have a two story house and the second story is carpeted then you should block her from going upstairs. and if you have hardwood floors then you should get a steam mop. they are wonderful! and dont buy a new rug every time she pukes! get an used one! go to a flea market in your area, just dont buy a new rug. also if you are ok with putting her down then i would recomend it. she is very old for a dog! and she may also be stressed, some dogs puke when they are stressed. those are a few options. or you could just buy her inexpensive pills, that will work very well, well at least it did for one of my dogs named macey and another one named sam. macey dies 4 years ago but sam is still alive and the pills work great!
    gracielovesmom

Answer by gracielovesmom at 3:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think it would be a shame to put a dog down when you really don't know what the problem is. It sounds like you need to find her a new home, one that wants her and can afford to take her to the vet to get checked. See if there is a no kill shelter in your area, when they get the dogs they also get their medical needs taken care of. Putting her down should not be done out of convience for you only for pain and suffering and just because she vomits doesn't mean she is suffering she may just have an upset stomach for some reason. Please seek out a shelter for her.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would ask the vet if you could make payments, my mom has...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 3:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• and by the way, I have a dog, black lab/golden mix and she is 18 and doing well. So 11 isn't necessarily old.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You really think after WEEKS of her doing this (not every bay but most) that it's just an upset stomach? She has been doing this on and off for the past 1 1/2 years, i have taken her to the vet b4 4 this very issue they didn't find anything then. She goes in spurts for weeks she does it then he won't do it for a couple weeks. The vet couldn't find out what was wrong then, I can't afford more test on her. This may sound selfish but I don't think I could take her a shelter, I have had her for 11 years, yes I am not close to her but I also don't want to send her somwhere where I don't know if she is being mistreated.
    - used rug, I have a baby at home I can't get a used rug and not know where it has been. I live in a trailor so there is no where for me to put her out of the way. I am soo stressed out and this dog just adds to it, I know she can't help puking but all I can think of is cancer. We have tried TONS of diff foods!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• jazzyjes I already have a $700 bill I am making payments to them on, I can't ask for more... I would like to point out I have had these dogs for 11 years I have taken awsome care for them. I don't believe in getting pets if you can't afford them but for the past 11 years it hasn't been a problem. Now that they are all getting older and the vet bills are getting more and with a new baby and no 2nd income (with his hours down a lot) it's getting to be impossible :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Older dogs can develope sensitive stomaches so you might try finding a bland diet to put her on. However because of her age I would be concerned about things like Cancer.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Ok for one thing if you dont like dogs or this one you do not deserve her love.
    If you could care less about taking care of her please find a REPUTABLE NO KILL shelter and let them find her a loving home.
    They can also have her checked out and find out why she is sick.

Sorry my animals are like my kids and are treated as such and I also have done rescue so my feelings about pets are the same of children.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010