My son is regressing (potty training)

DS has been a champ at pee'ing in the potty for quite some time. He'd go on his own and always say when he had to go while we were out. I felt confident to the point of letting him wear big kid undewear all day. Poop is another story, he has only pooped twice and both times mid flow, but we were still very proud. Well lately he refuses just to sit on the potty when I tell him to and he has been having nonstop accidents. I have him help me clean it, I tell him not to get the character on his underwear wet...nothing is working. He wears pull ups for naptime and overnight because he still wets during sleep. There havent been any major changes lately...we have a roommate but he is rarely here nor has he interrupted any daily routine, and I might have a job but it would be for nightshift hours....I need some advice please!!!! I dont scold for accidents but it is getting frustrating

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• google toilet resistance and regression. There are wonderful sites that will give you the ideas, and explanations you are searching for. I can tell you this is normal and will pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• We are going through the same thing with our 3 year old - around Sept he became fully day trained then 3 weeks later night trained as he would wake up dry from naps and bed - now.. the past weekend he pooped 2 times in one day and peed 3 times in his pants - we typically only have Maybe one accident a week... its hard not to get frustrated - hang in there..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Either he's just on a stubborn streak and you just need to stick to your guns or there is SOMETHING going on. Have you changed anything at? And not necessarily with things like routine but maybe daycare? Or is he in Preschool and having problems with classmates? What about the roommate you mentioned how long have they been there? It may take time but just keep at it. He'll eventually either give up the stubborn streak or you'll find out what's causing the issues.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just be patient, potty training doesn't happen all at once. There may be several episodes of regression before he gets it for good.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• he's been training since early summer
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe a treat after he uses the potty (idk if u do that or not) other than showing him how proud u are. maybe just a sticker or something simple like that. i heard that boys are really hard to potty train so maybe a little reward will make him more willing to go on the potty.
    milkieshakes

Answer by milkieshakes at 3:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• potty training will take a year, at least it did with gracie...
    gracielovesmom

Answer by gracielovesmom at 3:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• recently I've tried to encourage him to just sit on the potty and he'd get a thomas and friends sticker. Didnt work.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It takes time to potty training I am going through the same thing you are going through. Just stick with it. Oh yeah i found out that cut off drinks, juice and milk at a certain time at night will help with the accident. Good luck.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have no idea what to tell you. Once my son decided he was going to potty train....he never regressed.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010