Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how do i ask for child support from boyfriend?

i have recently broken up with my boyfriend and we have a 3 1/2 year old. i plan on moving back in with my parents for alittle while, but i didn't know the best way to ask him about child support... like i know i'm getting it,but i don't know how much to ask for without getting screwed over.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (14)
  • Go to court and get it court ordered. They will determine everything and IMO its more of an incentive to for him to pay.

    Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Tell him he has a child to support and to give you money. Its his responsibility he can't very well say, um no.


    Answer by bjojola at 3:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • You file in your county and make it official.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 3:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Go on your states website for child support and see what he should be paying to you and then ask for it. It's his child and he needs to help take responsibility of her. Take him to court and get a set order.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • You don't have to ask, he needs to support his child. For most people they understand this. Go through the courts and set up an official legal arrangement.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • You could always ask DHS to calculate income.

    Answer by sweet29mom at 3:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I agree. Go to court and get it official.

    Answer by kim0167 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Take him to court and receive a court order for CS and the amount.

    That is the only way to make sure you not only get CS, but that if he ever decided to quit paying you have legal recourse.
    If all you have in your corner is a verbal agreement between the two of you, if he ever decided to stop paying, pay less etc.. You would have to go to court anyway to have a CS legally ordered and enforced. So, your best bet, go the legal route from the get go.

    Answer by pixie_trix at 3:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Its best to go through court. So many ppl I know did it without court at first then after a few months the guy stops paying

    Answer by bseastrand at 3:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Get a court order.

    Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.