Do I expect too much? What would you do in this situation? adult content

I am always told that I expect too much from people. That I (and I am quoting them when I say this and it does not make me feel self righteous to say it either, just saying) "must just be stronger than everyone else" and that I "can do more and try harder".

So, my question is... AM I EXPECTING TOO MUCH FROM OTHER PEOPLE?

This is the situation I find myself in the most with many of my friends being unemployed. 99% of them do not have a car or money (due to the no job issue) and are on their own. They may live with friends, family or whatever... but the situation is pretty much the same across the board that they are expected to "fend for themselves" wherever they go and stay.

They are within about 10 or so miles from many businesses. They all have access to the internet whether they use the library or family computers. Most of them have the opportunity to go out to town with family and friends in which they would be close to other businesses.

Yet everyone complains to me about how they don't have a job, have no way of getting one, etc.

I was once in this situation. I didn't have the internet though. I WALKED to businesses and out in applications. When I got the chance to go to the library I applied for jobs online. I visited the Unemplyment Office regularly to see what they had to offer. I visited staffing agencies. I put in applications wherever we went or I could walk to when I went out with family and friends.
When I finally DID find a job I had to WALK 5 miles to work daily (until I finally got a bicycle which I rode). It didn't matter if it was raining, hot, day or night. I had to WALK. And this was in Fl down by the SWAMP where alligators and stuff are. I worked for $120 per week in cash and had to pay $400 month for rent, pay to wash and dry my clothes, and still buy food.
But I DID IT. I did what I had to do and I am a better person for it.

So, when I tell them that I expect them to apply EVERYWHERE... whether it means walking there now and when you're hired or not... whether it means a little bit of work and stress on them.... when I tell them to call staffing agencies and take whatever they can find for work, etc.... then I'm told I "expect too much" out of people.

Honestly... I can see where they're coming from and maybe I DO.... but in your opinion... am I asking too much of people?

{As I said this is multiple friends I know in multiple locations who tell me they can't do anything.... can't... can't... can't.... But I KNOW it CAN be done from personal experience.}

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sounds to me like you are being realistic and they are making excuses.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, you're not. Sounds like you need a better grade of friends.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No. If they're complaining they need to do something about it.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 4:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Absolutely Not.
    miamae

Answer by miamae at 4:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well on the one had you are correct some people can not help them selves. Otoh it is a very tough job market. However the jobs are not going to walk up to you and offer it self to you.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• well, to be honest... many of them are from high school and we still chat on Facebook but that's all I hear about is how they can't do this and can't do that. Then I'm the bitch when I tell them like it is.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010