What kind of sewing maching would you recommend to an intermediate sewer..singer or brother?

I have access to a sewing machine if I wanted to sew..but I'd rather have my own in my own house, yanno? I just dunno what would be worth $100ish to spend on. This would be my first (but i'm not new at sewing) machine.

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Shopping

• Personally, I like singers machines.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 4:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh I forgot to add, and why do you like your singer or brother! I need something that'll help freshen my skills up and grow with me.
    SparklingHope

Comment by SparklingHope (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Neither. Singer has been crappy for the past twenty or so years. The machines are all plastic and wear out quickly. Spend more money, get one with a metal housing.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have a bunch of machines. I personally like my bottom line Bernina, but I think it cost $150 bucks 5-8 years ago. I got it at a big fabric store in the D.C. area during a presidents day sale. I had to wait until June to get it. They sold so many of them. I love it as a beginner machine.
    I am not so familiar with Singer, but I do believe what the poster stated above. I did see a Brother on sale at Tues mornings for $150 too. I would venture to say as a small machine with less heavy duty features it would be okay.
    Start with it, but you do have to understand that it is a very basic model. I did not see what your interested on sewing on or what you going to do with it. A good place to start would be to go into a major store (fabric or machine) and try a few out. I will tell you I got two sewing machines site unseen. I just did some research.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I had a Kenmore from Sears for 18 years before I finally bought a new one. I adored that machine, but since it was older, it was heavy and didn't have all the fancy features of the newer machines. I just bought a Brother machine from WalMart for right around $100 and love it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Singer, my mom swears by them and would never have anything else.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010