Reasonable bed time

My SS, who is 9, doesn't have a bedtime and when DH tells him it's bedtime, he is allowed to play on his ipod touch or goes to sleep with the TV on. I think this is unhealthy but I'm not sure on how to handle it because I am the stepmom.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 4 year old goes to bed with the tv on. i really dont find anything hazardous to her health about it? the volume is on low and i turn it off once she's asleep. she just likes the noise and the extra lighting in her room, she's scared of the dark and every little noise is a "monster". however, she does have to be in bed by 8 on school nights and 9 on weekends. if she is still up at 10 on schoolnights, the tv goes off. hubby's rule.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my son is turning 8 next week. We try and get him in bed between 8 and 8:30 and he can quietly read books for about 20 min or so. That has worked wonders...
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My son is 9 yrs old and if he insists on a show or movie we adjust the time , so if its a movie we get ready for bed about an hour before so he can enjoy his quite time and is asleep by 830 at the very latest...
    jenandjuice

Answer by jenandjuice at 5:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• 8:30/9 pm bed time....I let my son watch dvd as he falls asleep but as he gets older he I plan on turning it off after a half hour.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What time does he usually fall asleep? Is he hard to get up in the morning? Does he stay up for hours in his room or just for a little while? Can you set the TV on a timer? Are you just looking for a general poll on what time 9 year olds go to bed? My kids went to bed between 8:30 and 9 on school nights.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Learning to fall asleep alone is an important step in a child's emotional development. Children should not fall asleep with the TV on or playing with an ipod.   You are right to feel that your stepson needs a regular bedtime.  Children need routines to do their best in school. It makes them feel secure.  Would your husband be willing to attend a parenting class? 

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/ 

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He needs a good 10 hours of sleep, so depending on when he needs to get up in the morning, will determine a good bed time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• depends what time he wakes up I say NO later than 9...I think bedtimes are important myself. My kids go at 8 and they are younger 2,6 and 7
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree 8:30 or 9 and while I don't think you should let him watch TV or play on his IPod, if you do you should limit it to 30 min and then everything gets shut off. GL!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• You need to get your husband on board to come up with something reasonable. My son is 11 and his bedtime on schoool nights is 9 pm at the latest.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2010