I don't know what to do!!!!

My 6 yo child apparently has NO self control! He cannot behave at all on the bus or at school! I am at my wit's end, I have tried everything and nothing works. I have taken favorite things away. Grounded him.  Put him in time out, spanked. What next? If none of that worked what will? I am going crazy. Can someone please help me? I am almost to the point to call nanny 911.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't take it personally, there isn't much you can do once he is out of your care. Your son is his own person and only he can control himself. I would keep talking to him, and give LOTS of praise for a job well done. Try giving a small reward here and there, like when you get 5 good reports from the teacher or bus driver let him rent a movie or something small like that.
    Try to talk to your son's dr about some self help techniques your son can learn to use.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• maybe reward him for having x amount of good days on the bus? example say he goes 5 good days on the bus where you hear no complaints he could stay up 1/2 l;ater on that night, pick whats for dinner , play a fav game etc
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• not to sound mean or rude but mabe he has ADD/ADHD???
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 4:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Take a deep breath. What worked for a couple of kids when I went to school was mommy going on the bus and attending class with them but those kids were in hs .. they didnt want it to happen again.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 4:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• that sounds ok , but in some states u cannot spank your child with their pants down or with an object belt or anything!!!!!!! friend i suggest getting him evaluated too, my 5 yr old was diagnoses ADHD after 2 other wrong diagnosis and hes behaving so much better with the small amount of medication and counseling. i hope thing get better stay strong and have faith..
    jenandjuice

Answer by jenandjuice at 5:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You may need to get a professional evaluation. DO NOT be afraid of that idea!

My son had some serious behavior problems when he was younger. We went through the same things. Then his school did an evaluation and came up with a solution to the problem: Asperger's Syndrome. It's a high functioning form of autism that Einstein and Edison are believed to have had. Symptoms include difficulty with empathy, sensory problems (mine is hypersensitive to loud sound), troubles in situations that are unstructured, hyperfocus on certain topics (my son's was Pokemon), inability to read body language, even disregard for consequences that would work on most children.

Believe me, I cried when they said "autism" to me. But now? I thank God for them figuring it out! It's enabled us to get him the extra help he needs. It's required us to become better planners, and think things through. (more to come....)

Answer by gdiamante at 4:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Continues....

We have learned that disruption in schedules is a trigger for him. So we make sure we keep his daily activities fairly predictable, and we let him know when things are changing and why. We know that certain situations, such as outdoor concerts, will not be enjoyable because of his hearing sensitivity, so we look for other activities.

Knowing what was going on made all the difference in the world. He's got nearly straight A's in school (it would be straight As if he would show his work in math!) and we have had NO behavior issues this year because we and his teachers all know what to look for.

So... don't fear going to a professional. It can work out wonderfully!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He does have adhd. And he is on meds for that but for the last couple of weeks he has gone bizerk (sp?). He usually doesn't act like this, unless he doesn't take his meds. This just started a few weeks ago.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You need to find what he wants and take it away. Spanking is hit or miss with ADHD kids it either works or it doesn't. If your willing to share how do you spank? Because with stubbern 6 year olds sometimes you got to pull down pants to get the message across. I have a 7 year old with ADHD so I feel your pain.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I either pop with my hand or with the belt.(bottom only) (pants up)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010