How do you discipline?

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have a list of rules on the fridge along with a list of the kids' names. when they break a rule, we put a checkmark under the name and at the end of the day, we count up the checks and they spend corner time for each and if they have more than 3, they lose privileges such as playstation or tv.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Different ways, from taking things away to spanking, to timeout whatever I feel works for the given situation.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Each of them has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• it varies from issue to issue from child to child.

BUT hubs and I back each other 100%, we are a united front, we mean what we say, if we use a "threat" we follow through, we are kind and loving but FIRM. We have done the lions share of the work upfront demanding good behavior, mannors, ect... and now that we have teens we are SOOOOO glad we followed through and set the ground work early on.  Our kids KNOW that if we say there will be consequences... that there WILL be.

Anonymous

• time out, and the word no always works for me
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I try to stick to the Love and Logic book as close as possible when it comes to that. Making the punishment unique to not only the kids but the crime. Things like if they color on the walls they have to clean it up and if they don't put away their toys when asked and I have to do it they get put away for the whole next day. Fighting well if they don't stop when I ask it's loosing toys for "good" (I put them in the basement for a few months until they forget they ever had it.) and this might be extreme but I make them give each other a good LONG hug (3 or 4 minutes) and say they're sorry.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Rewards and consequences. I make sure they know the rules, I go over rules when we go out. When I set a reward for certain things, if they start misbehaving I remind them of what's waiting (lollipop. Favorite movie or show) and it helps. Although they have lost their treat, but that let's them know I mean what I say.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Time outs work well for us when they are little, grounding when they are older.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Time out, writing sentences or an essay about the behavior, penalty chores, taking away privileges
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010