Stuttering 2-year old

My step son has taken to stuttering a few months ago. It actually seems to be getting a little worse as time goes by. His parents think it's cuz he gets overly excited, but I was wondering if this is something other mothers have seen in their toddlers. He speaks really well and the stuttering only started a little after he turned 2.

Thoughts....experiences....??

FrunchyMama

Asked by FrunchyMama at 5:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He should be evaluated by a speech therapist. If thats the only problem he is having then its better to get it taken care of now then later down the road. Little kids are really smart and he'll pick things up quicker now. If it really is that bad then his parents are just in denial and really need to address the issue. Its only fair to him. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It could just me some kind of nervous tic and could really be to his benefit it its taken care of asap
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• be**
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would agree with overexcitement. He's got this rapidly expanding vocabulary and he's learning to communicate. I'd start by talking to his MD, but it may be something that passes. The best thing you can do is act like he doesn't stutter. Bringing attention to it could make it worse by increasing his anxiety.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would keep an eye on it, my gut feeling is it's normal, the excitedment of communicating with all his new words. But each child is different. I can share my experience with my youngest child who stuttered, especially when he got excited. It also got worse over time, to the point where he couldn't get a particular word out. Sometimes he would get so frustrated and yes, I was worried. I made sure to keep eye contact and interest in what he was saying. I also made a point to remain patient with him and never finish his sentence. This lasted up until about a year ago. He hasn't stuttered since, so I guess it was just a phase.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• *excitement
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• my daughter started stuttering at around age two by age four when preschool started it was awful you almost had to slap her on the back to get her to stop finally we realized it was only happening when she got excited or scared about something like nightmares or getting to see papaw tommorow not long after that her dr diagnosed her with adhd I was informed that young children who have adhd tend to stutter due to the fact that there brain is moving faster than they can get the words out hence the stuttering but I was also told some young kids stutter due to the same reason as above and its not due to adhd just a developmental thing so if he is still doing it by preschool I would send him to a speech therapist thats what the school did for my dd and it worked out great today she hardly ever stutters
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 7:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• YUP! My 2 year old son was stuttering as well. I had to make it a habit to stop him and get him to look at me. I looked him in the eyes and told him to stop and then think about what he wanted to say. That age they get so excited and while they talk they are looking around, running around and their thought process gets interupted. My cousin is a speech pathologist at John Hopkins and she said this is common with this age and easily corrected with just reminding them to slow down and think.
    TaraLB

Answer by TaraLB at 12:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thanks, ladies! I'll tell his parents what you've told me. Sounds like it may be normal and if it persists we should have him checked out.
    FrunchyMama

Answer by FrunchyMama at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008